Littelfuse High-Temp SCR Switching Thyristors Combine Blocking Voltages Up to 600V with Current Ratings to 40A
Littelfuse, Inc. today upgraded its switching thyristor line with the introduction of the SJ Series High-Temperature SCR (Silicon-Controlled Rectifier)
Littelfuse, Inc. today upgraded its switching thyristor line with the introduction of the SJ Series High-Temperature SCR (Silicon-Controlled Rectifier) Switching Thyristors. This new series offers circuit designers blocking voltages (VDRM) up to 600V and current ratings from 4A to 40A to support a wide range of applications. By offering designers a wider operating margin than earlier SCRs, they make it possible to tolerate insufficient cooling and higher inrush currents at startup.
Typical applications for SJ Series include:
- Rectifier and battery voltage regulators for AC generators in motorcycles, ATVs, small gasoline engines and gasoline/gas electric generators.
- Capacitor discharge ignition (CDI) in motorcycles, ATVs, small gasoline engines and furnaces.
- Inrush current limiters for bulk capacitors in AC-DC systems such as LED lighting and battery chargers.
- Line AC rectifier bridges for LED lighting systems, DC motor controls, and battery chargers.
- Soft starters for AC motors.
“The SJ Series SCR Switching Thyristors’ high junction temperature of 150°C ensures a wider operating margin, allowing devices in compact packages to provide performance comparable with those in larger packages,” said Koichiro Yoshimoto, business development manager for the Semiconductor Business Unit at Littelfuse. “That allows designers to achieve higher performance by replacing existing SCRs with new ones with the same package size or they can reduce product size by using SCRs in the more compact packages.”
SJ Series SCR Switching Thyristors offer these key benefits:
- A high junction temperature of 150°C provides a wider operating margin in existing designs and allows the use of smaller heat sinks in new designs.
- Wide package selection allows designers to select the optimal package for a specific application.
- Robust clip-attach package design enables high surge capability, so SCRs can tolerate high inrush currents and harsher operating conditions for a longer field life.
SJ Series SCR Switching Thyristors are available in various package styles, including TO-251AA, TO‑252AA (D-PAK), TO-220 Isolated, TO-220AB Non-Isolated, and TO-263 (D2-PAK). Minimum order quantities for products packed in tubes range from 500 to 750. They are also available in embossed carriers, with minimum order quantities of 2,500 (D-PAK) or 500 (D2-PAK). Sample requests may be placed through authorized Littelfuse distributors worldwide. For a listing of Littelfuse distributors, please visit Littelfuse.com.
Littelfuse is a global manufacturer of leading technologies in circuit protection, power control, and sensing. Serving over 100,000 end customers, our products are found in automotive and commercial vehicles, industrial applications, data and telecommunications, medical devices, consumer electronics, and appliances. Our 11,000 worldwide associates partner with customers to design, manufacture and deliver innovative, high-quality solutions, for a safer, greener, and increasingly connected world – everywhere, every day.