28A AC Inrush Current Limiters
As a response to high demands from the market for higher current inrush current limiters, Mean Well has released the ICL-28R/L series that can support higher current ratings than the previously-released ICL-16R/L, allowing more ac-dc power supplies and larger capacitive loads to be installed on a single circuit breaker.
Additionally, in order to satisfy installation requirements of different applications, Mean Well has added both the DIN rail type ICL-28R and the linear type ICL-28L for installation flexibility.
Summary of Features and Specifications
- 48A inrush limiting current, 28A continuous
- 180- to 264-Vac input
- Integrated thermal protection and bypass relay
- -30 to +70 degrees C working temperature
- Operating altitude up to 5000m
- Overvoltage category III (OVCIII)
- 2 installation styles:
- DIN rail mount ICL-28R, suitable for installation on TS-35/7.5 or 15 DIN rails
- Linear shape ICL-28L, suitable for chassis mount (i.e. in the ceiling plenum)
- ICL-28R (W x H x D): 52.5 x 90 x 54.5mm
- ICL-28L (L x W x H): 175 x 42 x 24mm
- Safety approvals: EAC, CE
Since Mean Well released its first ac inrush current limiter in April 2019, the ICL-16R/L (16A) helped solve headaches of many end system designers regarding ac breakers. When the ac power system powers on a capacitive or inductive load, such as switching power supply, there is a temporary inrush current peak, which may cause ac circuit breakers to trip even though the continuous current draw is well below the breaker ratings.
End system designers often have to oversize the breaker or separate load on multiple ac circuit breakers to ensure the system stability. The Mean Well ICL can be added after an ac circuit breaker to suppress the inrush current draw, which can help prevent ac circuit breakers from false tripping, and it can help reduce the installation cost of the end system.