CoolSiC™ MOSFET Evaluation Board for Motor Drives up to 7.5kWNovember 06, 2019 by Paul Shepard
Silicon carbide (SiC) is en route to mainstream for applications like photovoltaic and uninterruptable power supplies. Infineon Technologies AG is now targeting the next group of applications for this wide bandgap technology: The evaluation board EVAL-M5-E1B1245N-SiC will help to pave the way for SiC in motor drives and help strengthening Infineon's market position as #1 for industrial SiC. It was developed to support customers during their first steps in designing industrial drives applications with a maximum of 7.5kW motor output.
The evaluation board comprises an EasyPACK™ 1B with CoolSiC™ MOSFET (FS45MR12W1M1_B11), a 3-phase ac connector, EMI filter, rectifier and a 3-phase output for connecting the motor. Based on the Modular Application Design Kit (MADK) the board is equipped with the Infineon standard M5 32-pin interface which allows the connection to a control unit such as the XMC DriveCard 4400 or 1300. Its input voltage covers the range of 340- to 480-Vac.
The new member of the MADK family is optimized for general purpose drives as well as for servo drives with very high frequency. It features the EasyPACK 1B in Sixpack configuration with a 1200V CoolSiC MOSFET and a typical on-state resistance of 45mΩ. The power stage contains sensing circuits for current and voltage; it is equipped with all assembly elements for sensorless field oriented control (FOC).
Recommended for you: Robust Power Capacitors for the DC Link
The EVAL-M5-E1B1245N-SiC has a low inductive design, integrated NTC temperature sensors and a lead-free terminal plating, which makes it RoHS compliant.
Summary of Features:
- EasyPACK™ 1B 1200 V / 45 mΩ sixpack module with CoolSiC™ MOSFET
- Lead-free terminal plating; RoHS compliant
- Low inductive design
- Integrated NTC temperature sensorThe evaluation board characteristics are:
- Input voltage 340~480 VAC
- Maximum 7.5 kW motor power output
- On-board EMI filter
- Basic insulation between power and signal part
- Isolated current sensing with Δ∑-ADC
- Isolated sensing of dc-link voltage by Δ∑-ADC
- Thermistor output
- Overload and short-circuit hardware protection
- Overtemperature hardware protection
- All six switches turn off during protection
- Rugged gate driver technology with stability against transient and negative voltage
- Auxiliary power supply with 5 V
- Measurement test points compatible with standard oscilloscope probes
- PCB is 259 mm x 204 mm and has four layers of 35 μm copper each
- MADK is optimized to GPD / Servo drives with very high fsw
- Including the Easy 1B with CoolSiC™ MOSFET in sixpack configuration
- Equipped with all assembly groups for sensorless field oriented control (FOC)
- Overtemperature and overcurrent protection as well as short circuit protection
The EVAL-M5-E1B1245N-SiC can be ordered now.