Taiwan Semi’s 15A Bridge Rectifier Features 1000V Rating in Standard GBU Package
This article highlights Taiwan Semiconductor GBU150x family of standard bridge rectifiers that is 15A-rated rectifiers available with peak repetitive reverse voltage ratings (VRRM) from 600V to 1000V and 1.0ms peak forward surge current (IFSM) of 600A.
Higher peak reverse voltage and surge current ratings provide increased design margins for universal input power conversion designs – without added cost over lower-rated parts.
Image courtesy of Taiwan Semiconductor
Brea, CA. — Taiwan Semiconductor, a global supplier of discrete power electronics devices, LED drivers, analog ICs and ESD protection devices, announces the availability of the GBU150x family of standard bridge rectifiers. These GBU-packaged, 15A-rated rectifiers are available with peak repetitive reverse voltage ratings (VRRM) from 600V to 1000V and 1.0ms peak forward surge current (IFSM) of 600A. The highest rated (1KV) device, offered at the same price in production quantities as the others in the family, provides added design margin that can facilitate meeting regulatory standards, such as IEC61000-4-x and IEEE C62.XX ringing waveform requirements, in a wide range of mains-connected power conversion products.
“Since higher-voltage bridge rectifiers typically are more expensive, engineers trained to optimize price and performance will select 600V or 800V PIV devices to achieve cost targets,” said Vice President, TSC Products, Sam Wang. “The GBU1507, with an industry-leading 1000-volt PIV rating, is offered at the same price as the lower-voltage-rated parts in the series. This gives engineers a cost-effective opportunity to adding safety margin for new designs as well as upgrading existing GBU sockets.
The devices in the GBU150x Series provide a number of beneficial features, including:
- Very-High Peak Forward Surge Current – With computing everywhere and electronic lighting replacing electrical lighting, transient and surge survival is a top-of-mind consideration.
- UL-Recognized File # E-326243 – UL-recognized components simplify agency approvals on the customers’ end products, saving time and money.
- Standard GBU Package – Meets or exceeds operational specs of competitive devices; offers drop-in upgrade for existing GBU sockets for requirements from 50 volts to 1000 volts -one part can replace many others -simplifies number of stocked SKU’s and reduces BOM costs.
- Industry-Leading 1000V Rating – Added design margin for universal input supplies – at no added cost.
- Global Materials Compliance – RoHS compliant, halogen-free (per IEC-61249-2-21.
Applications for the GBU150x Series include switch-mode power supplies (SMPS), battery chargers, lighting power supplies, TVs and adapters.
Design resources include a comprehensive datasheet. 3D CAD and spice models.
About Taiwan Semiconductor
Taiwan Semiconductor Co., Ltd. (TSC) is a Taiwanese company that specializes in discrete devices (Diodes, MOSFETs) and power management ICs. Founded in 1979 in Taipei, the company supports customers to master future design requirements for automotive, lighting, consumer and industrial applications. State-of-the-art production facilities in China and Taiwan meet the latest ISO-standards as well as IATF16949 and offer automotive customers AEC-Q101 qualified products. In Europe, Taiwan Semiconductor Europe GmbH is responsible for sales with locations in Germany, France, and the UK. TSC employees 1,800 highly qualified people worldwide with sales offices in Asia, Europe, and the USA. The group is listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange Corporation (5425.TWO) and stated revenue of 189 Mio. USD in 2018.