Infineon Unveils New Current Ratings for its 1200V EconoDUAL 3 Portfolio
Based on the Infineon’s TRENCHSTOP IGBT 7 chips, the company adds 450A, 600A, and 750A versions to its popular family of power modules.
Infineon has announced new versions of its EconoDUAL 3 family based on its TRENCHSTOP IGBT7 chip. As compared to extant devices based on the IGBT4 chipset, the new EconoDUAL 3 units operate with lower static losses. In addition, for the same chip area, the new IGBT7’s feature on-state voltages reduced by up to 30%. This leads to lesser power losses, especially for applications operating at moderate switching frequencies.
Infineon’s EconoDual 3 Trenchstop IGBT 7. Image courtesy of Infineon
New Chip Dimensions
The new chip dimensions of the TRENCHSTOP IGBT7 chip enabled Infineon to optimize these three new EconoDUAL 3 modules in a manner that reduces switching losses. As an example, the 600 volt FF600R12ME7_B11 module features switching losses that are up to 24% less when compared to members of the preceding generation.
The Three New Units
All three new inverter modules feature PressFIT housing enabling a fast and cost-efficient assembly for easier assembly. The devices offer higher output current for the same frame size, and the modules’ footprints are unchanged, which makes it easier for manufacturers to upgrade existing inverter designs. Also featured are internally integrated NTC temperature sensors and isolated baseplates.
Internal diagram of the new dual modules showing the two TRENCHSTOP IGBT7 chips. Image courtesy of FF750R12ME7_B11 datasheet
There are also PressFIT control pins, screw power terminals, and solderable press-fit auxiliary terminals. These serve to enable high inter-connection reliability to render the devices well-suited for press in and soldering processes.
Other commonalities include:
- The modules all feature isolation test voltages of 3.4 kV RMS at 50 Hz for 1 minute
- They are all specified for a maximum of 1200 volts collector to emitter
- Maximum gate to emitter voltage is ±20 volt
- Collector-emitter saturation voltage @25℃ is 1.5 volts (typ)
The three new EconoDUAL 3 Modules are the:
Complete specifications of any of the three devices can be obtained by clicking on the relevant device list above to obtain its datasheet
|Continuous DC collector current||450 amps||600 amps||750 amps|
|Repetitive peak collector current (period of 1ms)||900 amps||1200 amps||1500 amps|
|Reverse transfer capacitance||0.35nF||0.46nF||5.8|
|Collector-emitter cut-off current (max)||40µA||5µA||45µA|
Turn-on delay time (inductive load)
|Turn-off delay time (inductive load)||0.390µs||0.420µs||0.470µs|
- The new modules are suitable for applications in:
- Commercial, construction, and agricultural vehicles (CAV)
- Uninterruptable power supplies
- Solar energy
- Industrial motor drives and controls
- These new EconoDual 3 modules are specced at a maximum overload junction temperature of 175°C.
- All three modules measure 152 x 62.5mm
Regulatory and Safety
The modules satisfy relevant tests for:
- IEC 60747
- IEC 60749
- IEC 60068
- The three new EconoDUAL 3 TRENCHSTOP IGBT7 modules are RoHS compliant