5.5-V, 240-mA Current-Limited Load Switch with Reverse Current Blocking
The TPS22948 from Texas Instruments is a small, single channel load switch with robust protection against fault cases with output current limiting, reverse current blocking, and thermal shutdown. The image above is a functional block diagram of the TPS22948.
Applications for the TPS22948 are expected to include personal electronics, set top boxes, HDMI output ports, notebook & desktop PCs, docking stations, and similar devices.
The switch ON state is controlled by a digital input that is capable of interfacing directly with low-voltage control signals. When power is first applied, a smart pull down is used to keep the ON pin from floating until system sequencing is complete. Once the pin is deliberately driven high (>VIH), the smart pull down will be disconnected to prevent unnecessary power loss.
Summary of Features
- Input operating voltage range (VIN): 2.5V to 5.5V
- Output current limit (ILIMIT): 240mA (typical)
- Thermal shutdown (TSD)
- ON-Resistance (RON): 300mΩ (typical)
- Slow Turn ON timing limits inrush current (typical):
- Turn ON time (tON): 820us at 6.6mV/μs
- Always-ON Reverse Current Blocking (RCB):
- ON State activation current (IRCB): -200mA (typical)
- Fault indication (FLT)
- Smart ON pin pull down (RPD,ON):
- ON VIH (ION): 25nA (maximum)
- ON VIL (RPD,ON): 500kΩ (typical)
- Low power consumption:
- ON State (IQ): 50uA (typical)
- OFF State (ISD): 0.3uA (typical)
TPS22948 is available in a standard SC-70 package characterized for operation over a temperature range of -40°C to 125°C.