Universal High-Voltage Gate-Driver for Up To 100A with External FETs
TRINAMIC Motion Control GmbH & Co. KG announces their new high-power gate-driver TMC6100. The compact and cost-effective building block allows full protection and diagnostics via SPI while achieving high-speed operation with minimized switching losses in the power stage.
With a broad voltage range of 8- to 60-Vdc and programmable gate current of 0.5A, 1A, or 1.5A, the TMC6100 allows for flexible yet robust designs. Able to drive motors from watts to kilowatts, the gate-driver IC is perfectly suited for industrial drives, factory automation, lab automation, robotics, CNC machines, and finer applications such as surveillance cameras and printers.
"Integrated gate-drivers are perfect for reducing overhead cost in the design process. They not only save time and shorten the bill of materials, they also reduce design complexity," explains Michael Randt, Founder and CEO of Trinamic. "Forming the interface between the controller and power switches, our gate-drivers improve reliability and increase robustness of the overall system design."
Recommended for you: Infineon Motion Control Engine Adds Arm MCU for Maximum Flexibility
Besides programmable short and overload and in-system EME optimization to reduce electromagnetic interference to the absolute minimum, the TMC6100 offers programmable brake before make logic allowing for three or six pwm channels. With only a few additional components, a standby-mode can be realized for energy-savings, making the TMC6100 well-suited for battery-powered devices.
Its versatile interface matches simple BLDC drives with minimum requirements on the microcontroller's PWM and PMSM control algorithms. As such, the compact gate driver chip perfectly mates any microcontroller, as well as Trinamic's powerful TMC4671 and TMC8670 FOC controller chips.
The compact QFN package (7x7mm²) with double pin distance for high voltage operation is available from February 2020 via Trinamic's distribution channels. Fully supported in the company's modular evaluation system, the gate driver IC is also offered as an evaluation board for quick testing.
Features and Benefits:
- 3-phase motors up to 100A coil current (external MOSFETs)
- Voltage range 8- to 60-Vdc
- Programmable gate drive (0.5A / 1A / 1.5A)
- Full protection and diagnostics via SPI interface
- Gate Off Drive with 1Ω (LS) / 1.3Ω (HS) safe hold off resistance
- SPI & Stand-Alone operation
- Charge pump for 100% duty cycle operation
- Optional BBM break-before-make logic for single line control
- Programmable short and overload current threshold and retry
- Programmable control interface with 3-line or 6-line drive
- Compact 7x7mm² QFN package with double pin distance for high voltage operation