RECOM Adds to its Line of DC/DC Converters with 0.5W and 1.0W Units
The new units accept inputs over a 4.5V to 5.5V range and provide isolated, semi-regulated 5V outputs.
With the addition of the R05C05TE05S and the R05CTE05S, RECOM has expanded its offerings of DC/DC converters. Because the two new units, both available in SOIC-16 packages, have no minimum load requirement, they are well suited for applications that feature low-power operation modes.
The R05C05TE05S and the R05CTE05S. Image courtesy of RECOM
Both devices feature an operating temperature range of from -40°C to +125°C. Over this range, there is no change in line and load regulation specifications, nor is there is also any power output derating. The units feature a one-minute 3kVDC (basic) insulation rating with an isolation capacitance of 7pF.
A Lower-Cost Alternative
As stated by Matthew Dauterive, DC/DC product manager of RECOM, “These new DC/DCs are a low-cost alternative when all the features of our higher spec SOIC-16 parts are not needed”. He goes on to state that, “Even so, they still are manufactured with the same automated process with advanced transformer fabrication technology for the highest reliability in critical applications”.
Even at a lower cost, RECOM maintains in the announcement that the 0.5W R05C05TE05S and the 1W R05CTE05S offer “EMI levels are also particularly low compared with more expensive competing products.
Features Common to Both DC/DC Converters
These devices offer the protection features designers have come to expect, including input under-voltage short-circuit, over-current, and over-temperature protections. They also offer more than 8mm of input and output creepage and clearance, which renders the units well suited for applications demanding top-notch levels of robustness and reliability.
It should also be noted that the DC/DC converters are pin-compatible with each other, making effortless upgrades (or downgrades) easy for designers. There is also partial pin compatibility with RECOM’s R05CT05S, a device with higher specifications than the two devices introduced today, including reinforced isolation and remote on/off.
Specification common to both units include:
- Under-voltage lockout, for DC-DC ON and DC-DC OFF, are 3.28VDC and 2.28VDC, respectively.
- Quiescent current of 7ma.
- Switching frequency is 30MHz.
- Output ripple voltages, typical and maximum, are 50mVp-p and 100mVp-p, respectively.
- Output Voltage Accuracy with zero load is ±1.5%.
- Load Regulation over the full 0% to 100% load range is 1.0%.
- The 0.5W device is able to deliver 0.6W for short peak mode requirements.
- Typical efficiency of 54%.
- Typical input currents are 240mA when outputting 0.6W and 255mA at 0.5W.
- Line regulation with a 0.12A load is ±0.5%.
Typical efficiency of 53%.
Typical input current is 370mA.
- For VIN ranging over 4.75 to 5.25V with a 0.2A load, line regulation is ±1.5%.
- For VIN over the full 4.5V to 5.5V input range with a 0.2A load, line regulation is ±5.0%.
- Industrial PLC (I/O)
- IoT and IioT sensors
- Isolated COM port power supplies
- Power for gate drivers
- Medical devices
- Current sensing/smart metering
- The units are available in 10.35 x 7.5 x 2.5mm SOIC packages
- RoHS2: RoHS 2011/65/EU + AM2015/863
- REACH compliant