NIC Components Unveils a New Series of Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors
The surface-mounted devices are available with capacitances of 47 to 10,000 µF and voltage ratings from 6.3 to 100 VDC.
NIC’s new NAZR series of aluminum electrolytic capacitors, announced March 31, feature 5000-hour load life ratings at +105 °C and up to 20,000 hours at +85°C. The devices sport operating temperature ranges of -55 to +105 °C and are offered with case size diameters of 12.5, 16, and 18 mm.
NAZR components feature 5000-hour load life ratings at +105 °C. Image used courtesy of NIC Components
NIC describes the NAZR series as an updated replacement for its legacy NACKA series. NAZR electrolytic capacitors offer optional wide terminals for applications subject to high vibrations. During manufacturing, units can tolerate reflow soldering at temperatures up to 245°C.
Aluminum vs Tantalum Electrolytic Capacitors
Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors
- Lower cost
- Not damaged by high heat during soldering
- Lower leakage current
- Higher operating voltage ranges
Tantalum Electrolytic Capacitors
- Smaller-sized for given voltage and capacitance
- Wider range of operating temperatures
- Better stability over temperature
- Larger tolerance of reversed voltage
- Capacitance changes less over time
For the benefit of designers, NIC Components publishes a Product Guideline for aluminum electrolytic capacitors, detailing their features and limitations.
Members of the NAZR Series
NIC makes it easy for designers to choose the right application for specific projects, with both its series page and data sheet listing the series members by working voltage. The number of devices at each working voltage and their available capacitance values are listed below:
- 6.3 V: 5 capacitors from 2,200 to 10,000 µF
- 10 V: 4 capacitors from 2,200 to 10,000 µF
- 16 V: 4 capacitors from 1,500 to 4,700 µF
- 25 V: 4 capacitors from 1,000 to 3,300 µF
- 35 V: 5 capacitors from 470 to 2,200 µF
- 50 V: 11 capacitors from 330 to 1,500 µF
- 63 V: 7 capacitors from 150 to 1,000 µF
- 80 V: 8 capacitors from 68 to 680 µF
- 100 V: 9 capacitors from 47 to 470 µF
For designer convenience, NIC Components also lists case size availability as a function of capacitance value.
Members of the NAZR series exhibit capacitance tolerances of ±20%. Leakage current @ 20℃ after 2 minutes is the greater of 0.01 CV (rated voltage times rated capacitance value) or 3μA.
For additional specifications, see the tables below:
|Working Voltage (VDC)||6.3||10||16||25||35||50||63||80||100|
|Surge Voltage (VDC)||8.0||13||20||32||44||63||79||100||125|
|Capacitance||120 Hz||1 kHz||10 kHz||100 kHz|
|47 ~ 200 µF||0.50||0.80||0.95||1.0|
|220 ~ 10,000 µF||0.60||0.85||0.95||1.0|
- 5G cellular network infrastructure
- Industrial internet of things (IIoT) installations operating at 57 V
- -48 VDC and -60 VDC power for telecommunication and datacom (ICT) network equipment
- Point of Load (POL) Regulators
- Moisture Sensitivity Level (MSL) — 1
- China RoHS-compliant
- EU REACH-compliant