Motor Control Reference Design for 24V BLDC/PMSM FOC Automotive Systems
The S32K142-MC24 from NXP Semiconductors is a reference design board engineered for general purpose Brushless DC (BLDC)/ Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor (PMSM) Field-Oriented Control (FOC) automotive motor control up to 800W output under 24V automotive applications.
This reference design delivers a motor control hardware solution to support 24V automotive systems which can be used for multiple applications, such as a cooling fan, oil pump, water pump and blower.
Based on the 32-bit Arm® Cortex®-M S32K14 microcontroller and the GD3000 Pre-Driver, the S32K142-MC24 is an out-of-the-box and easy-to-use 24V general purpose motor control hardware reference design board with rich hardware and software enablement that can be used as a quick prototype verification board.
Key features of this hardware include:
- Supports a 24V power supply system with up to 800W automotive BLDC/PMSM motor control system
- Is able to drive multiple types of automotive motors and tune those motors directly
- Contains a PMSM FOC based on NXP S32K142+GD3000+CAN PHY+LIN PHY
- Dual shunt and triple shunt current sample solution are implemented
- Supports multiple diagnose and protection covering UV, OV, OT, OC, short, stall detection, etc.
- Supports speed/control commands from LIN/CAN/PWM
Software Architecture Overview
The motor control software package is developed on NXP's S32K1xx SDK RTM3.0.0 and AMMCLIB 1.1.15. In order to accelerate user application software development, it offers a BSP layer to provide API of all onboard modules. In the application layer, apart from the motor control, users can add their own application software and communication management stack.
The software package of the S32K142-MC24 RDB is available to enable users to evaluate the S32K142 based motor control performance out-of-box and build their own motor control product prototype as a general motor control hardware platform.
The software package has the following features:
- Out-of-box motor control and tuning via FreeMASTER MCAT
- Support sensorless FOC PMSM/BLDC motor control
- Support hall sensor based FOC PMSM/ BLDC motor control
- Support rich motor control diagnosis and protection: OV, UV, OC, OT, etc.
- Implement advanced motor control algorithm — field weakening (FW) and stall detection
- Support dual-shunt and tri-shunt phase current sample
- Integrate BSP layer API of CAN, LIN and PWM communication for motor control
- Provide S32DS IDE project and makefile project to support multi-toolchain — GHS, IAR and GCC and multi-debugger — Lauterbach, U-Multilink and J-LINK debugger