Dual-Loop, Digital, Multi-Phase Controller with PMBus Interface
The MP2853 from Monolithic Power Systems is a dual-loop, digital, multi-phase controller that provides power for the core of the AMD SVI 2.0 platform. The MP2853 can work with MPS Intelli-Phase products to complete the multi-phase voltage regulator (VR) solution with minimal external components. The MP2853 can be configured with up to 4-phase operation for Rail 1 and up to 2-phase operation for Rail 2.
The MP2853 provides an on-chip EEPROM to store and restore device configurations. Device configurations and fault parameters can be programmed easily or monitored via the PMBus™/I2C interface. The MP2853 can monitor and report output current through the CS output from Intelli-Phase products.
The MP2853 is based on a unique, digital, multi-phase, non-linear control to provide fast transient response to the load transient with minimal output capacitors. With only one power-loop control method for both steady state and load transient, the power loop compensation is very easy to configure.
The MP2853 is available in a QFN-40 (5mmx5mm) package.
Features & Benefits
- Multi-Phase, Dual-Output, Digital Controller
- AMD SVI 2.0 Compliant
- Supports 3-Bit PVID Mode
- PMBus/I2C Compliant (1MHz Bus Speed)
- Pin Programmable for PMBus™ Address
- Built-In EEPROM to Store Custom Configurations
- Switching Frequency Range from 200kHz to 3MHz
- Digital Load-Line Regulation
- Over-Clocking Mode by Adding Offset to Output Voltage
- Automatic Loop Compensation
- Fewer External Components than a Conventional Analog Controller
- Best Transient Performance with Non-Linear Digital Control
- Flexible Phase Assignment for Dual Rails
- Auto-Phase Shedding to Improve Overall Efficiency
- Phase-to-Phase Active Current Balancing with Programmable Offsets for Thermal Balance
- Input and Output Voltage, Current, and Power Monitoring
- Regulator Temperature Monitoring
- VIN UVLO, Output OVP/UVP, OCP_TDC/OCP_SPIKE, OTP with No Action, Latch, Retry, or Hiccup Options
- Detection for Intelli-Phase MOSFET Fault Type
- Auto-Recording VR Fault Type to EEPROM
- Available in an RoHS Compliant QFN-40 (5mmx5mm) Package