5V, 3A Synchronous Step-Down Switcher in 2mm x 2mm LQFNAugust 19, 2019 by Paul Shepard
The LTC®3307A from Analog Devices is a very small, high efficiency, low noise, monolithic synchronous 3A step-down dc-dc converter operating from a 2.25V to 5.5V input supply. Using constant frequency, peak current mode control at switching frequencies up to 3MHz and minimum on-time as low as 22ns, this regulator achieves fast transient response with small external components.
The Silent Switcher architecture minimizes EMI emissions. Targeted applications include: Optical Networking, Servers, Telecom; Automotive, Industrial, Communications; Distributed DC Power Systems (POL); and FPGA, ASIC, µP Core Supplies.
The LTC3307A operates in forced continuous or pulse skip mode for low noise, or low-ripple Burst Mode operation for high efficiency at light loads, well suited for battery-powered systems. The IC regulates output voltages as low as 500mV.
Other features include output overvoltage/short-circuit protection, thermal shutdown, clock synchronization, and up to 100% duty cycle operation for low dropout. The device is available in a low profile 12-lead 2mm × 2mm × 0.74mm LQFN package with exposed pad for low thermal resistance.
Summary of features and specifications:
- High Efficiency: 8mΩ NMOS, 31mΩ PMOS
- Programmable Frequency to 3MHz
- Tiny Inductor and Capacitors
- Peak Current Mode Control
- 22ns Minimum On-Time
- Wide Bandwidth, Fast Transient Response
- Silent Switcher™ Architecture
- Ultralow EMI Emissions
- Low Ripple Burst Mode® Operation with IQ of 40µA
- Safely Tolerates Inductor Saturation in Overload
- VIN Range: 2.25V to 5.5V
- VOUT Range: 0.5V to VIN
- VOUT Accuracy: ±1% Over Temperature Range
- Precision 400mV Enable Threshold
- Shutdown Current: 1µA
- Internal Compensation and Soft Start
- Power Good Output
- Thermally Enhanced 2mm × 2mm LQFN Package