50V, 5A, Three-Phase Brushless DC Motor Drivers
The MP6540H and MP6540HA from Monolithic Power Systems are three-phase brushless dc motor drivers. These devices integrate three half-bridges consisting of six N-channel power MOSFETs, pre-drivers, gate drive power supplies, and current-sense amplifiers.
The MP6540H has enable (EN) and PWM inputs for each half-bridge, while the MP6540HA has separate high-side and low-side inputs. Otherwise, both parts are identical.
The MP6540H/HA can deliver up to 6A of peak current and 5A of continuous output current, based on thermal and PCB conditions. The MP6540H/HA uses an internal charge pump to generate the gate drive supply voltage for the high-side MOSFETs, and a trickle charge circuit that maintains sufficient gate drive voltage to operate at 100% duty cycle.
Internal safety features include thermal shutdown, under-voltage lockout (UVLO), and over-current protection (OCP).
The MP6540H/HA are available in a QFN-26 (5mm x 5mm) package.
Features & Benefits
- 5V to 50V Operating Supply Voltage
- 5A Output Current/6A Peak Current
- Low RDS(ON): HS + LS 50mΩ
- PWM & ENBL inputs
- Internal Charge Pump Supports 100% Duty Cycle Operation
- Integrated Bidirectional Current-Sense Amplifiers
- Automatic Synchronous Rectification
- Full integration eliminates external FETs and reduces solution size
- Internal current sense
- Lower solution cost