36-V Input, 4-A Power Module Features Enhanced Thermal Performance
The TPSM53604 power module from Texas Instruments is a highly-integrated 4-A power solution that combines a 36-V input, step-down, dc-dc converter with power MOSFETs, a shielded inductor, and passives in a thermally-enhanced QFN package. The 5mm x 5.5mm x 4mm, 15-pin QFN package uses routable lead-frame technology for enhanced thermal performance, small footprint, and low EMI.
Applications are expected to include: General purpose wide VIN power supplies; Factory automation and control; Test and measurement; Aerospace and defense; and Negative output voltage applications. The package footprint has all pins accessible from the perimeter and a single large thermal pad for simple layout and easy handling in manufacturing.
The total solution requires as few as four external components and eliminates the loop compensation and magnetics part selection from the design process. The full feature set includes power good, programmable UVLO, prebias start-up, overcurrent, and overtemperature protections, making the TPSM53604 an excellent device for powering a wide range of applications.
Summary of Features:
- 5 mm × 5.5 mm × 4 mm routable lead-frame (RLF) QFN package
- Industry’s smallest 36-V, 4-A footprint: 85 mm2 solution size (single sided)
- Low EMI: Meets CISPR11 radiated emissions
- Excellent thermal performance:
- Up to 20 W output power at 85ºC, no airflow
- Standard footprint: single large thermal pad and all pins accessible from perimeter
- 8V to 36V input voltage range
- Output voltage range: 1V to 7V
- Efficiency up to 95%
- Power-good flag
- Precision enable
- Built-in hiccup-mode short-circuit protection, overtemperature protection, start-up into pre-bias output, soft start, and UVLO
- Operating IC junction range: –40°C to +125°C
- Operating ambient range: –40°C to +105°C
- Shock and vibration tested to Mil-STD-883D
- Pin compatible with: 3-A TPSM53603 and 2-A TPSM53602
- Create a custom design using the TPSM53604 with the WEBENCH® Power Designer