1350V, 20A IGBT with Integrated Gate Driver Targets Induction Heating Designs
Infineon Technologies AG introduced the TRENCHSTOP™ IGBT Protected Series for Induction Heating. The F Series Protected IGBT brings together a 1350V, 20A in RC-H5 technology with a unique protecting gate driver IC together in a TO-247 6-pin package for induction cooking applications.
The new F Series IGBT family integrates logic functionality and a dedicated driver IC for a variety of programmable protection features from a single device.
According to Infineon, the Protected F Series ensures higher system reliability with less design and programming effort for all induction heating applications that use a single-ended topology. Infineon claims that the TRENCHSTOP Feature IGBT Protected Series has the best IGBT performance in terms of conduction losses, blocking voltage, and static losses. Also, it integrates protection functions against over-voltage, over-current and over-temperature. The device also joins this functionality with additional diagnostic features so that the device reliability becomes independent from microcontrollers (MCU).
According to Infineon, this combination lets designers integrate less advanced MCUs for reduced complexity and cost. The IGBT and driver are fashioned into a single TO-247 6-pin package with the same dimensions and the same single screw hole as a standard TO-247 3- & 4-pin package.
Infineon says that the additional pins allow for extra features including unique active clamp control, fault condition notification, and a special two-level turn-on gate driving current. The thresholds for over-voltage and -current are programmable to suit customers' requirements.
Summary of Features:
- Reverse conducting IGBT with monolithic body diode designed for soft commutation
- Integrated Driver with
- over-voltage and over-current protection
- Active clamp control circuit
- Programmable over-voltage threshold
- Programmable cycle-by-cycle over-current threshold
- Integrated gate drive with 2 level turn-on current
- Temperature warning
- Over-temperature protection
- VCC UVLO
- Integrated ESD protection and latch immunity on all pins
- TO-247 6-pin package
- Increased overall reliability, reducing costs for replacement/rework
- Reduced board complexity and design-in effort
- Simplified BOM and reduced cost for the total solution