1200V / 150A SiC-MOSFET Module Features High Reliability and Low Losses
Sansha Electric Manufacturing Co., Ltd. (SanRex) has begun mass production of silicon carbide (SiC) MOSFET modules with two elements at 1200V withstand voltage (current capacity 150A). This product has been commercialized through joint development with Panasonic Corporation.
These high-voltage SiC modules are designed for use in a variety of applications from automotive systems to industrial equipment including industrial inverters, dc-dc converters, EV chargers, high-power resonant power supplies and so on.
In announcing the new module, the company observed that SiC power devices are attracting attention as key devices for energy saving in high current, high voltage applications because they can operate at low loss and at high speeds beyond conventional silicon. The new SiC-MOSFET modules achieve long-term reliability improvement, low loss, and miniaturization using the company's proprietary Techno Block package technology.
Recommended for you: Accelerated Development Kits Unlock the Full Potential of SiC MOSFET Modules
Techno Block package technology combines transfer molding with a structure that sandwiches a metal and a chip by soldering. This package enables improvements in long-term reliability and miniaturization by eliminating wire bonds. Techno Block also improves power cycle capacity 3-times compared with conventional module packaging.
These new SiC modules claim industry-leading short-circuit withstand capability that realizes safe design of the device against short-circuit breakdown; SanRex points out that this had been a weak point of previous-generation SiC-MOS modules. Significant efficiency improvement in actual use scenarios has been achieved, even when the chip is hot (150°C). These modules have an on-resistance of 6mΩ.
Summary of features
- Techno Block package technology realizes long-term reliability improvement and miniaturization
- High-speed switching is possible, the inductance is about 1/2 (compared to conventional models from SanRex) due to improved internal construction
- In order to realize ideal switching these modules include
- Panasonic's proprietary SiC-MOSFET chip
- Diode integrated MOSFET (DioMOS) devices include a regenerative diode function that reduces unnecessary inductance
- This product complies with the RoHS directive (2011/65 / EU and (EU) 2015/863).