Ultra-Silent Motor Driver IC for Two-Phase Stepper Motors
The TMC2209 from Trinamic is an ultra-silent motor driver IC for two-phase stepper motors. The motor driver's pinning is compatible to a number of legacy drivers as well as to the TMC2208. TMC2209 incorporates the advanced StealthChop2™ chopper that Trinamic says ensures noiseless operation, maximum efficiency, and best motor torque. Its fast current regulation and optional combination with SpreadCycle™ allow highly dynamic motion while adding StallGuard4™ for sensorless homing.
Applications for the motor driver IC include compatible design upgrades, 3D printers, printers, POS office and home automation, textile, sewing machines, CCTV, security, ATM, cash recycler, HVAC, and battery operated equipment.
Integrated power MOSFETs handle motor currents up to 2A RMS with protection and diagnostic features for robust and reliable operation. A simple UART interface opens up tuning and control options and allows the storing of application tuning to OTP memory.
Trinamic says industries' most advanced Step/Dir stepper motor driver family upgrades designs to noiseless and most precise operation for cost-effective and highly competitive solutions.
In addition to also having short detection, the motor driver incorporates the company's technology including MicroPlyer™, CoolStep™, SpreadCycle, StallGuard4. CoolStep provides current control for energy savings of up to 75%. StalGuard4 offers load and stall detection.
The TMC22xx covers a wide spectrum of applications from battery systems to embedded applications with up to 2A motor current per coil. Trinamics unique chopper modes SpreadCycle and StealthChop2 optimize drive performance. StealthChop reduces motor noise to the point of silence at low velocities. Standby current reduction keeps costs for power dissipation and cooling down. Extensive support enables rapid design cycles and fast time-to-market with competitive products.
It features an integrated pulse generator for standalone motion.
With an internal sense resistor, no external sense resistor is required.
It also has full protection and diagnostics and comes in a choice of either a QFN or HTSSOP package.
- Drives 2-phase stepper motors up to 2.8A coil current (peak), 2A RMS
- STEP/DIR Interface with 8, 16, 32 or 64 microstep pin setting
- Smooth Running 256 microsteps by MicroPlyer™ interpolation
- StealthChop2 silent motor operation
- SpreadCycle highly dynamic motor control chopper
- StallGuard4 load and stall detection for StealthChop
- CoolStep current control for energy savings up to 75%
- Low RDSon, Low Heat-Up: LS 170mΩ & HS 170mΩ (typ. at 25°C)
- Voltage Range: 4.75Vdc to 29Vdc
- Low Power Standby to fit EUP or for battery operation
- Internal Sense Resistor option (no sense resistors required)
- Passive Braking, Freewheeling, and automatic power down
- Single Wire UART & OTP for advanced configuration options
- Integrated Pulse Generator for standalone motion
- Full Protection & Diagnostics
- Choice of QFN and HTSSOP package for best fit