PolyPhase Synchronous Boost Controller with PMBus InterfaceOctober 09, 2019 by Paul Shepard
The LTC®7841 from Analog Devices is a high performance PolyPhase® single output synchronous boost dc-dc converter controller that drives two N-channel power MOSFET stages out-of-phase. Multiphase operation reduces input and output capacitor requirements and allows the use of smaller inductors than the single-phase equivalent.
The LTC7841 is designed for use in automotive, industrial and medical systems. Synchronous rectification increases efficiency, reduces power loss and eases thermal requirements, enabling high power boost applications. The output voltage can be adjusted up to 60V with 0.2% resolution via a PMBus-compliant serial interface.
The serial interface can also be used to read back fault status, input/output current, input/output voltage and temperature. System configuration and monitoring is supported by the LTpowerPlay® development system.
PolyPhase operation allows the LTC7841 to be configured for 2-, 3-, 4-, 6-, and 12-phase operation.
Summary of features
- Wide VIN Range: 4.5V to 60V
- 1% Total Output Voltage Accuracy Over Temperature at VIN = 12V
- PMBus Compliant Serial Interface:
- Programmable VOUT: Up to 60V with 0.2% Resolution
- Read Back of Average and Peak Temperature, Current, and Voltage (25Hz Refresh Rate)
- Fault Status
- Phase-Lockable Frequency: 75kHz to 850kHz
- Less than 1ms Power-Up Time
- Power Good Output Voltage Monitor
- Internal LDO Powers Gate Driver from VBIAS or EXTVCC
- Low Shutdown Current: IQ < 10µA
- Clock Out for 4-Phase Operation (40A Output Current)
- Available in a Thermally-Enhanced 5mm x 6mm QFN