Low Power, High Resolution Micro-Stepping Motor Driver IC
Toshiba Electronic Devices & Storage Corporation has launched the TC78H670FTG, the latest addition to its line-up of micro-stepping motor driver ICs. The new IC has a maximum rating of 18V/2.0A and can drive motors with a wide range of operating voltages. The TC78H670FTG is in production.
The new IC can drive a 128 micro-stepping motor with a power supply ranging from 2.5V to 16V. Its wide range of applications includes USB-powered, battery-powered, and standard 9-12V system devices, and it can also be used with a 1.8V interface, allowing connection to various hosts and microcontrollers. Typical applications include cameras, security cameras, portable printers, handheld scanners, pico-projectors, and smartphones.
Toshiba's newest DMOS process ensures that TC78H670FTG realizes excellent figure-of-merit low ON resistance. The process also contributes to the IC's ultra-low standby current.
The IC is housed in a compact QFN16 package and eliminates use of a current sense resistor by incorporating a current detection part that contributes to lower cost, a smaller component footprint, and PCB routing space savings.
Summary of Features
- Built-in Dual H Bridges, Capable of controlling 1 bipolar stepping motor
- PWM controlled constant-current drive
- Power supply operating voltage: 2.5V to 16.0V
- Output current ratings: 2.0A (max)
- Low on-resistance (High + Low side = 0.48Ω (typ.)) MOSFET output stage
- Allows full, half, quarter, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, 1/128 step operation
- Built-in Sense resistor less current control architecture (Advanced Current Detection System)
- Multi error detect functions (Thermal shutdown (TSD), Over current (ISD), motor load open (OPD) and Under voltage lockout (UVLO))
- Error detection (TSD/ISD/OPD) flag output function
- Built-in VCC regulator for internal circuit
- Chopping frequency of a motor can be adjusted by external resistor
- Small QFN package with thermal pad (16-pin)
- Ultra-low standby current of 0.1mA
- Operates motors smoothly and quietly and reduces vibration; improved rotation angle accuracy achieved by micro-stepping control.