35V/3.2A Lead-Acid Step-Down Battery Charger with I2C Telemetry
The LTC®4162-S from Analog Devices is an advanced monolithic synchronous step-down switching battery charger and PowerPath™ manager that seamlessly manages power distribution between input sources such as wall adapters, backplanes, solar panels, etc., and a lead-acid battery.
A high resolution measurement system provides extensive telemetry information for circuit voltages, currents, battery resistance and temperature which can all be read back over the I2C port. The I2C port can also be used to configure many charging parameters including charging voltages and currents, termination algorithms and numerous system status alerts.
Applications are expected to include; medical instruments, USB-C power delivery, industrial handhelds, ruggedized notebook and tablet computers, and similar systems.
The LTC4162-S can charge 6V, 12V, 18V and 24V lead acid batteries with as much as 3.2A of charge current. The power path topology decouples the output voltage from the battery allowing a portable product to start up instantly under very low battery voltage conditions.
Summary of features:
- Lead-Acid Battery Charger with Absorb and Equalize
- Wide Charging Input Voltage Range: 4.5V to 35V
- High Efficiency Synchronous Operation
- 16-Bit Digital Telemetry System Monitors VBAT, IBAT, RBAT, TBAT, TDIE, VIN, IIN, VOUT
- Charges 6V, 12V, 18V and 24V Lead-Acid Batteries
- Input Undervoltage Charge Current Limit Loop
- Input MPPT for Solar Panel Inputs
- Input Current Limit Prioritizes System Load Output
- Low Loss PowerPath™
- Instant-On Operation with Discharged or Missing Battery
- Temperature Controlled Charging
- Pin Compatible with Li-Ion and LiFePO4 Versions
The LTC4162-S is available in a thermally enhanced 28-pin 4mm × 5mm × 0.75mm QFN surface mount package.