300mA Synchronous Step-Down DC-DCs with Integrated ControllerJuly 17, 2019 by Scott McMahan
Maxim Integrated launched the Himalaya series of voltage regulator ICs and power modules. According to the company, the devices enable cooler, smaller, and simpler power supply solutions.
The MAXM17904/MAXM17905/MAXM17906 are a family of high-efficiency, synchronous step-down dc-dc modules with integrated controller, compensation components, MOSFETs, and inductor that operate over a wide input-voltage range. The modules draw 4.5V to 24V input and deliver up to 300mA output current.
Typical applications for the modules include 4mA to 20mA current-loop powered sensors, LDO replacement, HVAC and building control, battery-powered equipment, general-purpose point-of-load, and USB Type-C powered loads. (See typical 2.5V application circuit above).
The MAXM17904 and MAXM17905 are fixed 3.3V and 5V output modules respectively. The MAXM17906 is an adjustable output (0.9V to 6.3V) module. Maxim says they significantly reduce design complexity, manufacturing risks, and provide a true plug-and-play power/supply solution, thereby reducing time-to-market.
The MAXM17904/MAXM17905/MAXM17906 modules utilize a peak-current-mode control architecture. A fixed 3.75ms soft-start time reduces input inrush current.
The MAXM17904/MAXM17905/MAXM17906 modules are available in the company's low profile, compact 10-pin, 2.6mm x 3mm x 1.5mm, µSLIC™ package.
Easy to Use
- Wide 4.5V to 24V Input
- Adjustable 0.9V to 6.3V Output
- Fixed 3.3V and 5V Output (MAXM17904 and MAXM17905)
- ±1.5% Feedback Accuracy
- Up to 300mA Output-Current
- Internally Compensated
- All Ceramic Capacitors
- Selectable PWM- or PFM-Mode of Operation
- Shutdown Current as Low as 2.2µA (typ)
- Internal Soft-Start and Prebias Startup
- Open-Drain Power Good Output (Active Low RESET Pin)
- Programmable EN/UVLO Threshold
- Hiccup Overcurrent Protection
- Over-temperature Protection
- -40°C to +125°C Ambient Operating Temperature/ -40°C to +150°C Junction Temperature
- Complies with CISPR22(EN55022) Class B Conducted and Radiated Emissions
- Passes Drop, Shock, and Vibration Standards: JESD22-B103, B104, B111