2.3V to 28V Single Channel Over-Voltage Protection Handles ±200V Surges
Kinetic Technologies added KTS1650B to its power-management portfolio. According to Kinetic, the KTS1650B is the first single channel overvoltage protection IC to incorporate their ±200V surge protection technology to actively protect low-voltage systems from supply faults of up to +28Vdc. Primary applications for the KTS1650B by Kinetic Technologies include smartphones, tablets, peripherals, IoT, WAP or STB.
"The KTS1650B gives customers the ability to not only provide higher protection levels for new designs, but also upgrade existing systems due to pin compatibility with earlier generations of products," says Kinetic Technologies Vice President David Nam. "The switch features a standard 36mΩ on-resistance high current integrated MOSFET, which actively protects low-voltage systems from voltage supply faults. When paired with an internal clamp, devices are protected from surges up to ±200V. Any input voltage exceeding this threshold causes the internal MOSFET to switch off, preventing excessive voltage from damaging protected downstream devices." See the typical application diagram for KTS1650B above.
The KTS1650B has an internally fixed OVLO threshold preset to 6.4V, which can be manually adjusted with an optional external resistor divider to a voltage between 4V and 22V.
The device has a maximum current capability of 4.5A and offers an automatic shut-down function when an over-current or over-temperature fault is detected.
The KTS1650B is available in a Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) and Green compliant 12-Bump, 2.156mm x 1.486mm WLCSP.
- Wide Input voltage range: 2.3V to 28V
- Up to 4.5A Continuous current capability
- Integrated 36mΩ (typical) N-Channel MOSFET
- Wide Overvoltage threshold range
- Fixed internal: 6.4V
- Adjustable: 4V to 24V
- Fast OVP response time: 0.1μs (typ.)
- Internal 15ms Startup Debounce
- Integrated Surge Protection up to ±200V
- Low Quiescent Current: 100µA (typ.)
- Thermal Shutdown and Short Circuit Protection
- Compliance to IEC61000-4-2 (Level 4)
- Contact: ±8kV
- Air Gap: ±15kV
- ESD Protection
- Human Body Model: ±2kV
- Pb-free Package: 12-Bump WLCSP
- -40°C to +85°C Temperature Range
The KTS1650B is available and shipping now.