Dialog Semi to Acquire Adesto Technologies, Broadening IIoT Presence
Dialog Semiconductor plc and Adesto Technologies Corporation have signed a definitive agreement for Dialog to acquire all outstanding shares of Adesto. The acquisition of Adesto accelerates Dialog's expansion into the growing industrial internet of things (IIoT) market that enables smart buildings and industrial automation (Industry 4.0), seamlessly driving cloud connectivity.
Headquartered in Santa Clara, California, Adesto has approximately 270 employees and an established portfolio of industrial solutions for smart building automation that fully complements Dialog's manufacturing automation products. Adesto's solutions are sold across the industrial, consumer, medical, and communications markets.
"This acquisition substantially enhances our position in the Industrial IoT market," said Jalal Bagherli, CEO of Dialog. "Adesto's established strength in connectivity solutions and highly optimized products for building and industrial automation perfectly complements and adds scale to our Industrial IoT portfolio from the recently acquired Creative Chips. Adesto's deep customer relationships, comprehensive system expertise, and proprietary technology will deliver enhanced value for Dialog customers."
You may also like: 42V, 15A Synchronous Step-Down DC-DC Regulator
"Together with Dialog, we are positioned to create unique Industrial IoT solutions through the integration of our best-in-class technologies for today's increasingly connected world," added Adesto's CEO, Narbeh Derhacobian. "We are extremely pleased to join Dialog to bring more value to our combined customer base."
Benefits of Transaction
Bringing Dialog and Adesto together creates a complementary product portfolio for servicing a broad customer base in growth segments of the industrial market and enables cross-selling.
- Scales Dialog's IIoT sector capabilities by combining industrial connectivity, smart metering and building automation solutions, and access to more than 5,000 customers, the majority of which are new for Dialog
- Complements Adesto's industrial wired connectivity portfolio with Dialog's wireless portfolio (BLE, Wi-Fi) for smart building and industrial applications. Cloud-connectivity adds further differentiation to Dialog's existing Industrial solutions
- Enables full system solutions for wearables, hearables, and other IoT applications by combining Adesto's low-power specialty memory products with Dialog's BLE & Wi-Fi connectivity and True Wireless Stereo (TWS) Audio ICs
- Unlocks future growth in the Automotive market by qualifying Adesto's specialty memory products by leveraging Dialog's established Automotive production and test flow. Additionally, these products address the emerging, fast-growing Artificial Intelligence (AI) segment
- Adds engineering and design scale to expand Dialog's existing custom IC business making Dialog one of the largest custom analog mixed-signal semiconductor providers
Transaction Structure and Terms
Dialog will acquire Adesto for $12.55 per share in cash, or for approximately $500 million enterprise value. The deal will be funded from Dialog's balance sheet.
The transaction is expected to be EPS accretive for Dialog within the first calendar year following close.
Dialog expects annual cost synergies of approximately $20 million within the first calendar year of close across the combined company. Dialog also anticipates considerable additional revenue synergies given the complementary nature of the product portfolios and technology. Adesto expects to report FY 2019 revenue of approximately $118 million and continued revenue growth is anticipated over the next few years.
The transaction is subject to certain regulatory approvals and customary closing conditions and is expected to close in the third quarter of 2020.