Tight-Threshold Adjustable Overcurrent Protected Power Switches From Diodes Inc.
This article highlights Diodes Incorporated AP22652/A and AP22653/A that are single-channel, tightthreshold Adjustable Overcurrent Protected Power Switches optimized for applications that require accurate overcurrent protection
The AP22652/A and AP22653/A are single-channel, tight threshold Adjustable Overcurrent Protected Power Switches optimized for applications that require accurate overcurrent protection. The non-A versions have a current limit with a flag. The “A” versions are latched off when a fault occurs. They need the power rail cycled or the enable pin toggled, to restore operation.
Image courtesy of Diodes Incorporated
Their key feature is the external resistor programmable overcurrent threshold, between 125mA and 2665mA. Its accuracy ± 10% can be achieved at high current-limit settings. This flexibility allows for a wide array of applications.
All four parts offer a robust solution as they offer controlled turn-on and turn-off, overcurrent protection, sudden short-circuit protection, reverse-current protection, and a flag that signals the system if the overcurrent event is longer than 6ms. Internal over-temperature protection ensures a robust system design that recovers from an overcurrent event.
The AP22652/A have active-low enable, whereas AP22653/A have active-high enable. All devices are available in SOT26 and W-DFN2020-6 packages.
The Diodes Advantage
- Adjustable Current Limit from 125mA to 2665mA Single device used across platforms with a resistor change up to 2.1A load
- ± 10% Current-Limit Accuracy at 1.735A with RLIM = 15kΩ Allows closer matching of current limits to system requirements, reducing unnecessary overhead
- Fast Short-Circuit Response Time: 5μs Prevents unnecessary system shutdown or restart, which improves system robustness
- Reverse-Current Protection: Blocking During Shutdown and Current Limiting while Enabled Protects system from reverse currents when peripherals are externally powered
- Robust Protection Features Set with Fault Reporting: Overcurrent, Output Overvoltage, and Thermal Shutdown Improved robustness of USB ports
- Notebook PCs
- Tablet PCs
- Embedded Systems
- Set-Top Boxes
- Telecom Systems
About Diodes Incorporated
Diodes Incorporated is a leading global manufacturer and supplier of high-quality application-specific standard products within the broad discrete, logic, analog and mixed-signal semiconductor markets. Diodes serve the consumer electronics, computing, communications, industrial, and automotive markets. Diodes’ products include diodes, rectifiers, transistors, MOSFETs, protection devices, function-specific arrays, single gate logic, amplifiers and comparators, Hall-effect and temperature sensors, power management devices, including LED drivers, AC-DC converters and controllers, DC-DC switching and linear voltage regulators, and voltage references along with special function devices, such as USB power switches, load switches, voltage supervisors, and motor controllers.