Single-Phase Energy Metering IC with Autocalibration
The ADE9153A from Analog Devices is a highly-accurate, single-phase, energy metering IC with autocalibration. The mSure® autocalibration feature allows a meter to automatically calibrate the current and voltage channels without using an accurate source or an accurate reference meter when a shunt resistor is used as a current sensor. Class 1 and Class 2 meters are supported by mSure autocalibration.
The ADE9153A incorporates three high performance analog-to-digital converters (ADCs), providing an 88dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). The ADE9153A offers an advanced metrology feature set of measurements like line voltage and current, active energy, fundamental reactive energy, and apparent energy calculations, and current and voltage rms calculations.
ADE9153A includes power quality measurements such as zero crossing detection, line period calculation, angle measurement, dip and swell, peak and overcurrent detection, and power factor measurements. Each input channel supports independent and flexible gain stages.
Current Channel A is designed for shunts, having a flexible gain stage and providing full-scale input ranges from 62.5mV peak down to 26.04 mV peak. Current Channel B has gain stages of 1×, 2×, and 4× for use with current transformers (CTs). A high speed, 10MHz, serial peripheral interface (SPI) port allows access to the ADE9153A registers.
Applications are expected to include:
- Single-phase energy meters
- Energy and power measurement
- Street lighting
- Smart power distribution system
- Machine health
The ADE9153A operates from a 3.3 V supply and is available in a 32-lead LFCSP package. Features and benefits include:
- mSure autocalibration
- Automatic calibration based on a direct measurement of the full signal path
- Calibration procedure not requiring a reference meter
- mSure autocalibration Class 1 meter guaranteed
- 3 high performance ADCs
- 88 dB SNR
- High gain current channel: ±26.04 mV peak, 18.4 mV rms input at highest gain setting
- Advanced metrology feature set
- WATT, VAR, VA, Wh, VARh, and VAh
- Supports active energy standards: IEC 62053-21; IEC 62053-22; EN50470-3; OIML R46; and ANSI C12.20
- Supports reactive energy standards: IEC 62053-23 and IEC 62053-24
- Current and voltage rms measurement
- Power quality measurements
- Operating temperature, industrial range: −40°C to +85°C