Dual-Channel Gate Driver for Enhancement Mode GaN TransistorsMarch 23, 2020 by Paul Shepard
The uP1966A from uPI Semiconductor is designed to drive both high-side and low-side GaN FETs in half bridge topologies. It integrates an internal bootstrap supply and UVLO. The uP1966A has split gate outputs that can operate to several MHz on both high and low side drive channels, providing the ability to adjust both turn-on and turn-off transition times independently.
A clamping circuit is used on the high side drive to keep unwanted transients from damaging GaN device gates. The uP1966A has two pwm inputs that independently control high side and low side drive signals.
Applications are expected to include:
- Half-Bridge and Full-Bridge Converters
- High Input Voltage Converters
- Wireless Power
The uP1966A is available in a 12-pin WLCSP package that minimizes package inductance for improved high-speed operation. Operating temperature range is -40°C to +125°C. The uP1966A comes in a 1.6mm WLCSP 1.6 x 1.6-12B package.
Summary of Features
- 4Ω/0.7Ω Pull-Down/Pull-Up Resistance
- Fast Propagation Delays (15ns, Typical)
- Fast Rise and Fall Times (8ns/4ns, Typical)
- Adjustable Output for Turn-On/Turn-Off Ability
- CMOS Compatible Input-Logic Threshold (Independent of Supply Voltage)
- Under Voltage Lockout for Supply Input
- WLCSP 1.6X1.6-12B Package
- RoHS Compliant and Halogen Free