Capacitor Discharge ICs from Power Integrations Meet IEC60335
Power Integrations announced CAPZero™-3, the latest generation of the company's energy-saving X-capacitor discharge ICs. Two-terminal CAPZero-3 ICs enable designers to easily meet the IEC60335 discharge safety standard for major appliances, and cover all capacitor values from 100nF to 6µF.
To protect the user from an electrical hazard, IEC60335 requires the voltage across the input X capacitor to discharge to less than 34V within less than one second after the ac is removed. CAPZero-3 ICs block current flow through the X-capacitor discharge resistors when the ac voltage is connected, and automatically discharge X capacitors through those resistors when the ac is disconnected.
CAPZero-3 ICs simplify EMI filter designs while permitting the use of larger X capacitors, which in turn enables smaller inductive components to be used with no resulting change in power consumption.
CAPZero-3 ICs can be placed before or after a system's input fuse. Devices deliver high common-mode surge immunity so that no external ground connection is necessary, and feature a high differential surge withstand due to 1000V internal MOSFETs. Creepage on the package and PCB is maintained at >4mm.
Comments Edward Ong, product manager, Power Integrations: "With the launch of the new CAPZero-3 ICs, designers can use one part to address a large range of applications in small and major appliances that require X capacitor values from 100nF to 6µF."
- Meets IEC 60335 X capacitor discharge of <34V in <1 sec
- One part to cover X capacitor values from 100nF to 6mF
- Blocks current through X capacitor discharge resistors when ac voltage is connected
- Automatically discharges X capacitors through discharge resistors when ac is disconnected
- Simplifies EMI filter design - larger X capacitor allows smaller inductive components with no change in consumption
- Only two terminals - meets safety standards for use before or after system input fuse
- >4mm creepage on package and PCB
- Self supplied - no external bias required
- High common mode surge immunity - no external ground connection
- High differential surge withstand - 1000V internal MOSFETs
- NEMKO and CB certification pending
- EcoSmart™- Energy Efficient
- <5mW consumption at 230Vac for all X capacitor values
CAPZero-3 devices are safety-certified to CB and Nemko requirements and so developers do not need to perform a separate safety test on the X-capacitor discharge circuit of the power supply. Devices are available now, priced at $0.31 in 1,000-piece quantities.