2W/3W, 5mΩ to 500mΩ Automotive-Grade Current Sense Resistors Improve Accuracy
Vishay Intertechnology introduced new automotive grade power metal plate current sense resistors. The new current sense resistors feature 2W and 3W power ratings in 2010- and 2512-sized packages. They let designers use a single, high-power resistor instead of running multiple resistors in parallel, which can result in current measurement errors.
Typical current sensing and pulse applications include automotive electronic controls, brushless dc motor controls, battery management for electric and hybrid vehicles, and high power inverter/converter controls and large motor drives for industrial applications. Other applications include power supplies for downhole instrumentation, inverter control for consumer appliances and HVAC systems, and power management, conversion, and safety in servers and other computing applications.
They boast an excellent frequency response of 50MHz, and their increased power density supports space savings on the circuit board that will enable smaller and lighter products for the end consumer. The new current sense resistors feature low inductance values of 0.5nH to 5nH
An improved thermal management design utilizes a copper heat spreader, enabling high power density and lifetime stability.
With an operating temperature range of -65°C to +170°C, they feature a low thermal EMF down to <3µV/°C.
Fabricated with a proprietary processing technique, the new current sense resistors enable a wide range of low resistance values of 5mΩ to 500mΩ, with tolerances down to ±1.0%.
The resistors feature a solid metal manganese-copper and nickel-chromium alloy resistive element with low TCR (<20ppm/°C)
- High 2W and 3W power ratings
- Available in 2010 and 2512 package sizes
- Fabricated with proprietary process enabling wide range of low resistance values
- Resistance values from 5mΩ to 500mΩ, with tolerances down to ±1.0 %
- Improve accuracy by enabling use of single resistor instead of resistors in parallel
- Increased power density support PCB space saving, allowing smaller and lighter products
- Improved thermal management with copper heat spreader, enables high power density and lifetime stability
- Low inductance values of 0.5nH to 5nH
- Low thermal EMF down to <3µV/°C
- Operating temperature range of -65°C to +170°C
- Excellent frequency response to 50MHz
- RoHS-compliant, halogen-free, and Vishay Green