1200V SiC FETs Replace IGBTs and Si FETs without Changes to Gate Drive
Designers of Power Factor Correction stages (PFCs), Active Frontend Rectifiers, LLC converters and Phase Shift Full Bridge converters can now upgrade existing system performance by using the new UJ3C1200 series of SiC JFET cascodes from UnitedSiC. With a voltage rating of 1200V and ON-resistances of 80 and 40 milliohms, these devices offer a ‘drop-in’ replacement solution for many existing IGBT, Si-MOSFET and SiC-MOSFET parts, with no change to gate drive circuitry. This simplifies design upgrades and provides an alternative-purchasing source for existing parts.
Applications include Power Factor Correction stages, Active frontend rectifiers, LLC converters and Phase Shift Full Bridge Converters where improvements to efficiency and/or power density are required. End-uses include on-board EV chargers, battery charging for forklifts, PV inverters, welding and more.
Based on UnitedSiC’s Gen 3 SiC transistor technology, the UJ3C1200 series integrates a SiC JFET with a custom-designed Si-MOSFET to produce the ideal combination of normally-OFF operation, high performance body diode and easy gate drive of the MOSFET with the efficiency, speed and high temperature rating of the SiC JFET.
As a result, existing systems can expect a performance increase with lower conduction and switching losses, enhanced thermal properties and integrated gate ESD protection. In new designs, the UnitedSiC UJ3C1200 series delivers increased switching frequencies to gain substantial system benefits in both efficiency and reduction in size and cost of passive components, such as magnetics and capacitors.
UnitedSiC will show the 1200 V FETs at PCIM 2018 on the ECOMAL Europe booth, 7-406.
UnitedSiC will take part in two panel discussions:
- ‘Challenges and Opportunities facing Power Supply Manufacturers over the next 5 years’ - 12:00-13:00 on Tuesday, 5th June 2018, Hall 6, Booth 155.
- ‘SiC - Devices for the Future Design’ - 13:30 to 14:30 on Wednesday, 6th of June 2018, Hall 6, Booth 155.
Price and Availability
UJ3C1200 series SiC FETs are available now at licensed Distributors with prices starting at $10.39 in 500+ quantities.
- Low Rdson – Reduces conduction loss
- Flexible gate drive – Easy, drop-in replacement of IGBT, Si or other SiC MOSFET designs or use 0v to 12V simple gate drives and save BOM cost
- Low thermal resistance – Allows higher RMS currents delivering more output power
- ESD protection – Protected to HBM Class 2, insures overvoltage spikes on gate are clamped
Commenting on benefits of the new SiC transistor family, Anup Bhalla, UnitedSiC’s VP Engineering said, “These exciting new devices enable designers to deploy SiC technology without worrying about gate drive complexity. The high-performance body diode and integrated gate ESD protection give added value to designers while purchasers are helped with a second source to many existing sole-supplier parts”.