30A Sychronous Buck Regulator with SVID or 3-Bit PVID
Power density is key in the latest space constrained storage, netcom, servers, and telecom designs. Infineon Technologies AG introduced the newest member of its integrated point-of-load product family, the IR38164 dc-dc POL converter. Infineon's IR38x6x family offers either full SVID compatibility or 3-bit PVID flexibility. This flexibility makes it easy to design and support Intel CPU and chipset POL rails in Intel systems.
The converter was designed for Intel® single phase power rails requiring SVID communication such as Vccio and Vcmp on platforms such as VR13HC, VR13 and VR12.5. Other applications include servers and high-end desktop CPU VRs for non-core applications, telecom, datacom, and distributed point of load power architectures
Infineon says that this family of IPOL devices take advantage of the benchmark efficiency of the OptiMOS™ MOSFET. With its integrated SVID, the IR38164 boasts the smallest size available in its class and offers 50% space saving compared to traditional externally powered digital controller solutions. The product also offers improved current monitoring accuracy.
IR38164 has a 5mm x 7mm Cu-clip package and OptiMOS 5, and the company claims that it has the lowest RDS(on), FOM (figure of merit), and Qrr attributes in the market. The regulator delivers greater than 91% efficiency for core rail (0.7V to 1.2V), and higher than 97% for 5Vout efficiency.
The IR38164 is capable of high-frequency operations, up to 30A, due to its excellent thermal properties. Moreover, enhanced packaging and high-performance MOSFETs enable high current 3.3Vout and 5Vout delivery at high ambient temperature with minimum airflow.
IR38164 features Infineon's third-generation voltage mode PWM engine. According to Infineon, this PWM engine enables high control bandwidth, 50 percent fewer capacitors, and stable 1MHz operations. A wide margining range, true differential voltage sensing, and a 0.5% Vref accuracy work together to deliver a Vout accuracy of greater than 1%.
- Internal LDO allows single 16V operation
- Output Voltage Range: 0.5V to 0.875V
- 0.5% accurate Reference Voltage
- Intel VR12.5 (Rev 1.5), SVID (Rev 1.7) and VR13 (Rev 1.1) compliant
- Enhanced line/load regulation with Feedforward
- Frequency programmable by PMBus™ up to 1.5MHz
- Enable input with Voltage Monitoring Capability
- Remote Sense Amplifier with True Differential Voltage Sensing
- Fast mode I2C and 400kHz PMBus™ interface for programming, sequencing and margining output voltage, and for monitoring input voltage, output voltage, output current and temperature.
- PMBus configurable fault thresholds for input UVLO, output OVP, OCP and thermal shutdown.
- Thermally compensated pulse-by-pulse current limit and Hiccup Mode Over Current Protection
- Dedicated output voltage sensing for power good indication and over-voltage protection which remains active even when Enable is low.
- Enhanced Pre-Bias Startup
- Integrated MOSFET drivers and Bootstrap diode
- Operating junction temp: -40 ⁰C<Tj<125⁰C
- Thermal Shut Down
- PMBus Programmable Power Good Output
- Small Size 5mm x 7mm PQFN
- Pb-Free (RoHS Compliant)
- External resistor allows setting up to 16 PMBus addresses
The IR38x6x products are programmed for Intel VR13 rails, such as Vccio, Vmpc, and Pvnn rails. Pin compatible options are available with and without PMBus support.