High Power Factor LED Driver-Controller for Designs up to 100W
Diodes Incorporated announced the introduction of the AL1665 single-stage, fly-back and buck-boost controller for connected, commercial, and dimmable LED lighting up to 100W. The company designed the AL1665 to drive an external MOSFET to control LED loads and maintain a high power factor. It offers an efficient and compact solution that helps reduce the use of additional components and maintains high switching efficiency.
Applications for the LED driver controller include commercial LED lighting, controlling middle-power LED drivers, and its use with LED luminaires.
AL1665 operates from an ac input voltage of between 85Vac and 305Vac, utilizing primary side regulation (PSR) topologies, thereby removing the need for optical isolation or secondary side control. The PSR control method can provide accurate constant current regulation without optocoupler and secondary control circuitry.
With PSR, developers can devise smaller solutions using less PCB area and achieve lower bill of material costs, while providing constant current regulation for high-power LED lighting applications.
The ability to apply dimming across 0.5% to 100% of the high-power output makes the AL1665 suitable for commercial LED applications in which the lighting output levels are adjustable to save power, or for aesthetic purposes such as retail displays.
Compatible with ANSI-approved dimmers, a dedicated PWM input can adjust the output voltage between 0V and 10V. The output can also be adjusted with an analog input voltage of between 0V and 2.5V, making it simple to develop connected lighting systems that are both locally and remotely managed.
AL1665 features low startup current and low operation current, and it integrates a full protection function, making the LED driver more reliable.
A boundary condition mode (BCM) conversion with valley switching minimizes losses and delivers high efficiency with low EMI.
The wide supply voltage input allows the AL1665 to operate in any geographical region directly from the main supply.
Its line and load regulation of less than ±2%, power factor of more than 0.9, and THD of less than 20% also enable manufacturers to comply with all applicable legislation.
- Universal Wide-Input Voltage
- Covers 85- to 305-Vac
- Supports Analog and PWM Dimming
- 0V to 10V analog dimming applications work with all ANSI dimmers.
- Supports 0.5% to 100% direct PWM dimming resolution and 0V to 2.5V analog dimming.
- Cost Effective with Fewer System-Level Components
- Adopts primary-side regulation without optocoupler
- High Power Factor and Low Total Harmonic Distortion
- PF>0.9 and THD<20%
- Tight LED Current Variation Range Across Entire Input Voltage Range
- LED current line regulation: <±2% typical
- LED current load regulation: <±2% typical full load to half load
- High Output Current Accuracy
- Factory tested and trimmed to achieve <2% current accuracy for each unit
- AL1665 is available in the SO-8 package.