Evaluation Kit for Replacing Barrel Connectors with USB-Type C Connectors
The CY4533 EZ-PD™ Barrel Connector Replacement (BCR) Evaluation Kit (EVK) is based on the BCR product in Cypress' USB Type-C and Power Delivery controllers. This EVK is intended to be an evaluation vehicle for applications that would want to consume power over a USB Type-C Connector.
A device, such as a speaker, shaver, power tools, modem etc. that use a barrel connector for power will benefit from using a universal power interface such as USB Type-C. To make the transition easier, the CY4533 EVK provides a USB Type-C receptacle to consume power from a charger and then supply it over a terminal block. A barrel connector can be attached to this block using wires to convert a barrel input to USB Type-C.
EZ-PD™ BCR is Cypress' highly-integrated USB Type-C port controller targeting electronic devices that have legacy barrel connectors (up to 100W) or USB micro-B connectors for power such as drones, smart speakers, power tools, and other rechargeable devices.
EZ-PD BCR complies with the latest USB Type-C and USB Power Delivery (PD) standards and enables users to quickly convert their devices from being powered through a barrel connector to being powered via the USB-C connector with few external components and no firmware development is required.
EZ-PD BCR based Application Diagram (for Electronic Systems Requiring 12V to 15V Input at 2A)
EZ-PD BCR integrates a complete USB Type-C transceiver, USB PD policy manager, a load switch controller with a soft start, all termination resistors required for a USB Type-C port, and system-level ESD protection. It is available in a 24-pin QFN package.
- USB Type-C and USB-PD Support
- Supports USB PD3.0 Version 1.1 Spec including Programmable Power Supply Mode
- Configurable resistor RD
- Supports one USB Type-C port
- Legacy Charging Sink Block
- Supports Apple charging 2.4A, USB BC 1.2
- Integrates all required terminations on D+/D- lines
- System-Level Fault Protection
- VBUS to CC Short Protection
- On-chip overvoltage protection (OVP)
- Clocks and Oscillators
- Integrated oscillator eliminating the need for external clock
- 0-V to 24.5-V operation (30-V tolerant)
- System-Level ESD Protection
- On CC, VBUS_IN, DC_OUT, D+, D-, HPI_SDA and HPI_SCL pins
- ± 8-kV contact discharge and ±15-kV air gap discharge based on IEC61000-4-2 level 4C
- 24-pin QFN package
- Supports extended industrial temperature range (-40°C to +105°C)