Wireless Power Receiver for In-Case Charging of Consumer Devices
Integrated Device Technology, Inc. (IDT), a wholly owned subsidiary of Renesas Electronics Corporation, today announced the availability of its new P9222-R wireless power receiver, the industry's smallest and optimized for wireless charging cases used to charge earbuds, hearing aids and other small, battery-powered consumer devices.
Unlike other available solutions, the P9222-R is cost-optimized, highly efficient, feature rich and proven in high-volume applications with major consumer electronics manufacturers.
The P9222-R receiver is designed for wireless charging cases of up to 5W thanks to its combination of ultra-compact size (just 2.28mm x 3.38mm) and extremely low power consumption (less than 50mW). The new receiver is also supported by an EVK reference design with a small 30 x 30 mm coil.
"Our new P9222-R wireless power receiver enables manufacturers to get to market faster with wireless charging cases for earbuds, hearing aids and other small, battery-powered consumer devices thanks to its combination of programmability, small size and low power consumption," said Chris Stephens, vice president and general manager of IDT's Wireless Power division. "With the P9222-R Rx, manufacturers can simultaneously meet their key goals of maximizing battery life while decreasing the overall size of their devices."
A unique feature of the P9222-R is ping detection, which prevents overheating by reducing power consumption at the end of the battery's charging cycle. Complementing this, the P9222-R is optimized for efficient light load operation to further minimize temperature rise.
The new Rx also features an extremely low under-voltage lockout (UVLO) threshold, which enables fast charging over an extended area even when a wireless power transmitter's digital ping strength is weak - providing consumers with a better user experience.
The extremely flexible and customizable P9222-R helps accelerate time-to-market and reduces time spent in Qi certification. The key to this flexibility is the P9222-R's integrated 32-bit ARM Cortex-M0 processor, which offers a high level of programmability and design parameters that can be easily configured through the I2C interface or an external EEPROM.
Summary of features:
- Ultra-compact, efficient wireless power receiver for up to 5W applications
- WPC 1.2 Qi Baseline Power Profile (BPP) compatible
- Optimized light load efficiency for low power applications
- Ping detection for reduced power consumption at end of charging
- Low under-voltage lockout (UVLO) for low voltage start-up for faster connections over an extended area
- ASK and FSK modulation/demodulation for Bi-directional Communication: Rx-to-Tx and Tx-to-Rx
- Easy configuration of design parameters through I2C interface on an external EEPROM
- ADC input to measure battery voltage or system voltage
- Embedded 32-bit ARM® Cortex®-M0 processor
- Internal over-voltage clamping
- Low standby and operating mode power consumption
- High performance low dropout (LDO) regulator with low RDS(on) and programmable current limiting
- Supports I2C slave/master mode
- -40°C to +85°C ambient operating temperature range
- 40-WLCSP: 5 × 8 ball array, 2.28 × 3.38 mm, 0.4mm pitch
The P9222-R wireless power receiver is available today.