SoC Battery Pack Manager Offers Gas Gauging, and Authentication for Li-Ion and Li-PolymerJune 03, 2019 by Scott McMahan
Texas Instruments (TI) has introduced a single-chip battery pack manager, bq40z80. The bq40z80 battery pack manager incorporates the company's patented Impedance Track™ technology and offers a fully integrated, single-chip pack-based solution that delivers a substantial array of features for gas gauging, protection, and authentication for 2-series up to 7-series cell Li-Ion and Li-Polymer battery packs.
Applications for the battery pack manager include industrial appliances and robots, handheld garden and power tools, battery-powered vacuums, as well as energy storage systems, and UPS.
With its integrated high-performance analog peripherals, the bq40z80 device measures and sustains an accurate record of available voltage, capacity, current, temperature, and other crucial parameters in Li-ion or Li-polymer batteries. It reports this information to the system host controller over an SMBus v1.1 compatible interface.
SHA-1 authentication with secure memory for authentication keys or Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) enables identification of genuine battery packs.
It offers a high-side N-CH protection FET, and drive-integrated cell balancing while charging or at rest, and it supports 29Ah batteries natively as well as larger batteries with larger capacities.
With sophisticated charge algorithms, the battery pack manager provides JEITA, enhanced charging, adaptive charging, and
cell balancing functionality.
The bq40z80 device supports TURBO Mode 2.0/Intel Dynamic Battery Power Technology (DBPTv2) by delivering the available maximum power and maximum current to the host system. The device features eight, multifunction pins that can be configured as thermal inputs, ADC inputs, general purpose input/output (GPIO) pins, display button input, LED functions, display button input, a presence pin, or other functions.
Status and flag registers are mappable to the GPIOs and are used as interrupts to the host processor.
The bq40z80 device offers software-based 1st- and 2nd-level safety protection against over-voltage, under-voltage, over-current, short-circuit current, over-load, and over-temperature conditions as well as other pack- and cell-related faults.
A diagnostic lifetime data monitor provides insights to maintain peak performance and black box recorder keeps a record of power related incidents and faults.
According to TI, the compact 32-lead QFN package minimizes solution cost and size for smart batteries while maximizing functionality and safety for battery gauging applications.
- Fully Integrated 2-Series to 7-Series Li-Ion or Li-Polymer Cell Battery
- Pack Manager and Protection
- Next-Generation Patented Impedance Track Technology Accurately Measures Available Charge in Li-Ion and Li-Polymer Batteries
- Configurable Multifunction Pins to Support a Variety of Applications
- Supports Either Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) or SHA-1 Authentication
- High-Side N-CH Protection FET
- Drive-Integrated Cell Balancing While Charging or at Rest
- Supports 29-Ah Batteries Natively, and Larger Capacities with Scaling
- Full Array of Programmable Protection Features
- CHG/DSG FETs
- Sophisticated Charge Algorithms
- Enhanced Charging
- Adaptive Charging
- Cell Balancing
- Supports TURBO Mode 2.0/Intel® Dynamic Battery Power Technology (DBPTv2)
- Diagnostic Lifetime Data Monitor and Black Box Recorder
- LED Display
- Supports Two-Wire SMBus v1.1 Interface
- IATA Support
- Compact Package: 32-Lead QFN (RSM)