Integrated PoL Regulator Increases Efficiency for High-Density Applications
Infineon Technologies AG has introduced the new OptiMOS™ IR3826(A)M integrated point-of-load (PoL) dc-dc voltage regulator. It is a fully integrated and highly efficient device in two versions (IR3826AM for 16A and IR3826M for 23A) for applications such as netcom router and switches, datacom, telecom base stations, server and enterprise storage.
The voltage regulator can operate from an input voltage of 12V (5V to 17V) and provide up to 16A or 23A continuous current. It enables high-switching-frequency operations with enhanced efficiency and reduced power losses compared to previous generations of Infineon's offering. Furthermore, the device supports high switching frequency of up to 1.5MHz for small PCB size and less capacitors.
Both current ratings are offered in PQFN package with 5mm x 6mm footprint for easy scalability. Parts are pin-compatible to the previous product offerings to allow risk-free efficiency upgrade with minimum design effort.
You may also like: Switching Regulator with Independent Positive and Negative Outputs
The IR3826(A)M solves the heat challenge without or with minimum airflow in thermally constrained application designs such us 3.3V or 5V supply voltages. Additionally, it supports applications that operate with high ambient temperature, e.g., 85˚C for telecom.
The state-of-the-art pwm Gen 3 engine of the devices allows operation with fixed frequency to reduce noise in multi-rail telecom or high-end Netcom applications, like base stations.
The devices are fully RoHS2 compliant without an exemption to accommodate future regulations.
Summary of features and specifications
- Single 5V to 17V application or Wide Input Voltage Range from 1.0V to 17V with external Vcc
- Precision Reference Voltage (0.6V ± 0.6%) for Output Voltage Range: 0.6V to 0.86×Vin
- Enhanced Line/Load Regulation with Feed-Forward
- Programmable Switching Frequency up to 1.5MHz
- Monotonic Start-Up with Internal Digital Soft-Start & Enhanced Pre-Bias Start-Up
- Thermally Compensated Internal Over-Current Protection with Three Selectable Settings
- Enable input with Voltage Monitoring Capability & Programmable Power Good Output
- Thermal Shut Down
- Operating temp: -40°C < Tj < 125°C
- Small Size: 6 mm x 5 mm PQFN
- Lead-free, Halogen-free and RoHS2 Compliant
High volume production has started. Evaluation boards are also available.