Eval Board for 6-Axis Inertial Measuring Unit SiP with Machine LearningMarch 07, 2019 by Paul Shepard
The LSM6DSOX from STMicroelectronics is a system-in-package (SiP) featuring a 3D digital accelerometer and a 3D digital gyroscope boosting performance at 0.55mA in high-performance mode and enabling always-on low-power features for an optimal motion experience for the consumer.
Applications for the LSM6DSOX and associated evaluation board include: Motion tracking and gesture detection, Sensor hubs, Indoor navigation, IoT and connected devices, Smart power saving for handheld devices, EIS and OIS for camera applications, and Vibration monitoring and compensation.
The STEVAL-MKI197V1 is an adapter board designed to facilitate the evaluation of MEMS devices in the LSM6DSO product family. The board offers an effective solution for fast system prototyping and device evaluation directly within the user's own application.
The STEVAL-MKI197V1 can be plugged into a standard DIL 24 socket. The adapter provides the complete LSM6DSOX pin-out and comes ready-to-use with the required decoupling capacitors on the VDD power supply line.
This adapter is supported by the STEVAL-MKI109V2 and STEVAL-MKI109V3 with high performance 32-bit microcontroller functioning as a bridge between the sensor and a PC, on which it is possible to use the downloadable graphical user interface (Unico GUI), or dedicated software routines for customized applications.
LSM6DSOX Description and Specifications
The LSM6DSOX supports main OS requirements, offering real, virtual and batch sensors with 9 kbytes for dynamic data batching. ST's family of MEMS sensor modules leverages the robust and mature manufacturing processes already used for the production of micromachined accelerometers and gyroscopes.
The various sensing elements are manufactured using specialized micromachining processes, while the IC interfaces are developed using CMOS technology that allows the design of a dedicated circuit which is trimmed to better match the characteristics of the sensing element.
The LSM6DSOX has a full-scale acceleration range of ±2/±4/±8/±16 g and an angular rate range of ±125/±250/±500/±1000/±2000 dps.
The LSM6DSOX fully supports EIS and OIS applications as the module includes a dedicated configurable signal processing path for OIS and auxiliary SPI, configurable for both the gyroscope and accelerometer. The LSM6DSOX OIS can be configured from the Auxiliary SPI and primary interface (SPI / I²C & MIPI I3CSM).
High robustness to mechanical shock makes the LSM6DSOX the preferred choice of system designers for the creation and manufacturing of reliable products. The LSM6DSOX is available in a plastic land grid array (LGA) package.
Summary of Features:
- Power consumption: 0.55mA in combo high-performance mode
- "Always-on" experience with low power consumption for both accelerometer and gyroscope
- Smart FIFO up to 9 kbyte
- Android compliant
- ±2/±4/±8/±16 g full scale
- ±125/±250/±500/±1000/±2000 dps full scale
- Analog supply voltage: 1.71V to 3.6V
- Independent IO supply (1.62V)
- Compact footprint: 2.5mm x 3mm x 0.83mm
- SPI / I²C & MIPI I3CSM serial interface with main processor data synchronization
- Auxiliary SPI for OIS data output for gyroscope and accelerometer
- OIS configurable from Aux SPI, primary interface (SPI / I²C & MIPI I3CSM)
- Advanced pedometer, step detector and step counter
- Significant Motion Detection, Tilt detection
- Standard interrupts: free-fall, wakeup, 6D/4D orientation, click and double-click
- Programmable finite state machine: accelerometer, gyroscope and external sensors
- Machine Learning Core
- S4S data synchronization
- Embedded temperature sensor
- ECOPACK®, RoHS and "Green" compliant