Compact, High-Performance Disk Varistors for AC-DC Power SuppliesNovember 13, 2019 by Paul Shepard
TDK Corporation presents the EPCOS Compact S14 AdvanceD-MP series of metal oxide disk varistors that feature smaller dimensions with the same excellent performance as comparable S14 AdvanceD-MP types. The disk diameters of the new B72214P2* varistors range from 13mm to 14mm, a reduction of approximately 3mm.
- Primary protection against low-level repetitive surge currents
- Switch-mode ac-dc power supplies, drivers for LED lighting, home appliances and smart meters
Like their current S14 counterparts, these components offer a maximum surge current capability of 6kA at 8/20 µs according to IEC 62368-1.
The Compact S14 series covers a wide operating voltage range from 130- to 460-Vrms. The multiple pulse varistors are designed to be used in power supplies as the primary protection against low-level repetitive surge currents. Their optimized design results in an improved derating performance over time. All types have UL, CSA, VDE and IEC approval.
Thanks to their compact dimensions and outstanding electrical characteristics, the Compact S14 varistors help design engineers reduce the size of their products and are suitable for a wide range of applications. These include switch-mode power supplies, drivers for LED lighting, home appliances and smart meters.
Main features and benefits:
- Compact disk diameters of 13mm to 14mm
- Surge current capability of 6kA at 8/20 µs
- Multiple pulse capability against low-level repetitive surge currents