Electrical Drawing software enquiry

Hi,

I work at a Diesel powered generator plant and I would like to start learning how to draw electrical schematics of the generator control wiring and main power circuits. We have gensets generating 11KV that are connected to step up transformers to 33KV and these feed into a substation with switchgear.

Basically I would like to draw the entire plant electrical layout with a recommended software.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Hi,

I work at a Diesel powered generator plant and I would like to start learning how to draw electrical schematics of the generator control wiring and main power circuits. We have gensets generating 11KV that are connected to step up transformers to 33KV and these feed into a substation with switchgear.

Basically I would like to draw the entire plant electrical layout with a recommended software.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
You can use autodesk's autocad to draw single line diagrams for the system, you could also use etap as a simulation software for the system. Tutorials are available on the companies' websites, you will find very simple to learn.

You can use autodesk's autocad to draw single line diagrams for the system, you could also use etap as a simulation software for the system. Tutorials are available on the companies' websites, you will find very simple to learn.
Hi, thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. Does the autodesk's autocad have electrical symbols or is there a specific one I need to get.

With regards to Etap, do I first need to do the drawing the single line diagrams in autodesk's autocad then transfer it to the etap software or can use I use etap software for both drawing and simulation?

Regards
Calvin

Hi, thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. Does the autodesk's autocad have electrical symbols or is there a specific one I need to get.

With regards to Etap, do I first need to do the drawing the single line diagrams in autodesk's autocad then transfer it to the etap software or can use I use etap software for both drawing and simulation?

Regards
Calvin
Yes, you can use the electrical toolset included with Autocad for symbols. Regarding Etap, you will have to draw your system and add the parameters with etap's editing tool and then run the analysis tools required to simulate your system.

Yes, you can use the electrical toolset included with Autocad for symbols. Regarding Etap, you will have to draw your system and add the parameters with etap's editing tool and then run the analysis tools required to simulate your system.
Thanks so much for the advise and your time. Much appreciated. I will look at the costs involved and then make a decision. Awesome!!

AutoCAD Electrical is a package that runs on top of AutoCAD with not just electrical symbols but the ability to run off wire lists and terminal block connection tables among other things. It has a lot of built-in features for quick drawing of ladder logic, PLC I/O motor wiring, etc. It can tie the symbol in the electrical schematic to the mechanical representation on panel or other layout drawings. It takes a bit of work to get the hang of it, but I have yet to find a better package for this sort of schematics.

Here are some of the most popular electrical drawing software:
AutoCAD Electrical: This is a CAD software that is specifically designed for electrical drawings. It has a wide range of features, including symbols, libraries, and tools for creating electrical schematics, wiring diagrams, and panel layouts.
EPLAN Electric P8: This is another CAD software that is specifically designed for electrical drawings. It is similar to AutoCAD Electrical, but it has some additional features, such as 3D modeling and simulation.
Trace Software: This is a software that is specifically designed for electrical wiring diagrams. It has a wide range of features, including symbols, libraries, and tools for creating wiring diagrams, panel layouts, and cable schedules.
Dialux evo: This is a software that is specifically designed for lighting design. It has a wide range of features, including lighting calculation tools, 3D modeling, and rendering.
EasyPower: This is a software that is specifically designed for electrical power distribution. It has a wide range of features, including load calculations, short circuit analysis, and fault current calculation.

These are just a few of the many electrical drawing software that are available. The best software for you will depend on your specific needs and requirements.