Surface-Mount IPMs for Low-Cost Inverter Systems Coming to Market
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation plans to launch a MISOP™ (Mitsubishi Electric Intelligent Small Outline Power Module) surface-mount package intelligent power module (IPM) that will facilitate the implementation of low cost inverter systems, thanks to its compact and easily soldered package design.
Featuring a well-arranged pin layout, integrated driver ICs and protection circuits, the new MISOP is expected to lead to inverter systems with smaller and simpler designed printed circuit board (PCB).
In addition, PCB mounting using reflow soldering will allow easier and lower-cost assembly compared to products requiring through-hole mounting. It will be launched on September 1.
Mitsubishi Electric's new MISOP will be exhibited at PCIM Europe 2018 in Nuremberg, Germany from June 5 to 7, and PCIM Asia 2018 in Shanghai, China from June 26 to 28.
In line with increasing global measures for environmental protection and energy savings, inverter systems are even being incorporated in small fan motors, including the indoor and outdoor units of air conditioning systems. Mitsubishi Electric's new MISOP surface-mount package IPM is designed for such inverter systems, which must use low-power semiconductor modules and be easy to assemble.
1) Simplified design for inverter systems
- Surface-mount package IPM allows reflow soldering
- Small footprint on PCB
2) Helps to downsize and simplify inverter systems
- Reverse-conducting IGBT (power semiconductor with IGBT and diode on one chip) with seventh-generation thin-layer structure enables smaller IGBT chip and less space between the chips
- Fewer external components thanks to embedded gate driver ICs with protection functions and bootstrap diode (BSD*) with current-limiting resistor
- Optimized terminal layout enables simple and easy designed PCB and brings smaller inverter systems
* High voltage diode used in charge-pump circuit to get multiple power supply from single voltage source
3) Protection functions for more flexible inverter-system designs
- Overheating protection and analog signal for monitoring IC control temperature
- Short-circuit protection utilizing external shunt resistor and PWM input interlocking function, enables flexible protection-circuit designs