Murata Introduces Lithium-Ion 24V Battery Module for Industrial EquipmentApril 21, 2020 by Paul Shepard
Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd. has developed a FORTELION 24V Battery Module (all-in-one type) that is designed for industrial equipment requiring high output such as automated guided vehicles (AGVs) and robots. Mass production starts in April 2020. This module is equipped with "FORTELION", Murata's proprietary lithium-ion secondary battery, which uses olivine-type lithium iron phosphate as the cathode material and combines long life with an exceptionally high level of safety.
Major applications are expected to include service robots, security robots, automated guided vehicles (AGVs), and electric forklifts.
In recent years, the use of service robots and AGVs in warehouses has expanded in the interests of improving productivity and overcoming manpower shortages. Conventionally, these devices are equipped with lead-acid batteries, but in view of issues such as long charging time and short battery life, there is an increasing need to replace them with lithium-ion secondary batteries, which boast faster charging capability and longer battery life. In addition, Murata is committed to reducing the use of batteries that contain lead, which is hazardous to the environment.
In response to these needs, Murata has developed a new battery module that is the same size as a conventional lead-acid battery. Equipped with FORTELION lithium-ion secondary batteries, this module delivers longer life and rapid charging capability as well as realizing a high level of safety.
Highlights of product
- Size compatible with lead-acid batteries
- Many service robots, AGVs, and electric forklifts have power systems operating on voltage multiples of 24V, so it is common to connect two lead-acid batteries each with an output voltage of 12V in series. Murata's FORTELION 24V Battery Module (all-in-one type) is structured as a 24V system in a single battery management unit (BMS). Because the module is equivalent in size to a conventional lead-acid battery, replacement is easy.
- Dustproof and waterproof
- The module has an IP54 rating, delivering protection against dust and water, and also meets the UL2271 safety requirement for batteries for light electric vehicles, so it is safe for outdoor use.
- Accurate remaining capacity calculation
- The battery’s remaining capacity via CAN communication is accurately indicated as percentage using Murata's unique arithmetic processing technology based on the company’s knowhow developed with PCs, mobile phones, and other electronic devices.
Highlights of FORTELION technology
- Highly safe
- Thanks to the stable crystalline structure made possible by employing olivine-type lithium iron phosphate (lithium ferrophosphate) as the cathode material, FORTELION is less vulnerable to breakage and less likely to catch fire, even if subjected to a large impact or significant pressure, and maintains a reliable battery performance even under intense workloads.
- Long life
- Designed to undergo more than 10,000 charge-discharge cycles, FORTELION provides a much longer expected operating life than lead-acid batteries that typically require replacement around 500 cycles or regular lithium-ion secondary batteries that are capable of 2,000 to 3,000 cycles.
- Fast charging
- FORTELION can be charged to 90% of its full capacity in about one hour, allowing devices equipped with this battery to be charged during standby mode.
- Excellent discharge characteristics
- Less susceptible to voltage effects, FORTELION can be used for long periods and is also free from the memory effect observed in nickel-cadmium batteries caused by repeated partial discharge events.