64-Channel High-Voltage Switch IC from STMicroelectronics Drives Portability with Performance in Medical and Industrial ImagingOctober 16, 2019 by STMicroelectronics
This article features STMicroelectronics STHV64SW 64-channel high-voltage analog-switch IC with unprecedented integration for advanced ultrasound systems.
STMicroelectronics’ 64-channel high-voltage analog-switch IC delivers unprecedented integration for advanced ultrasound systems, probes, piezoelectric drivers, automated test equipment, industrial automation, and process-control systems.
The STHV64SW comprises a shift register for logic control signals, self-biased high-voltage MOSFET gate drivers, and N-channel MOSFET switches capable of providing up to ±3A peak output current. The switches respond quickly, with 1.5µs turn-on time, and low quiescent current saves power when turned off. Low on-resistance with low distortion and crosstalk ensure high signal integrity. Thermal shutdown and under-voltage lockout (UVLO) are built-in to ensure safe operation.
ST has created this advanced device leveraging proprietary BCD6s-SOI (silicon on insulator) and BCD8s SOI process technologies to combine precise analog circuitry (Bipolar), low-voltage CMOS logic, and robust DMOS power stages on the same chip. The STHV64SW can operate with various combinations of high-voltage supplies up to -100V/+100V, 0V/200V, or -200V/0V.
The STHV64SW has already been designed into innovative high-tech equipment such as ultrasonic flaw detectors for industrial non-destructive testing (NDT), as well as into affordable and portable handheld medical echography devices that are raising standards of pre-natal care available to remote and rural communities.
The highly integrated 64-channel analog-switch IC comes in a small FCBGA package as does the recently announced companion 16-pulser STHV1600 IC, enabling system manufacturers to increase channel density for superior ultrasound image resolution, using minimal board space.
The STHV64SW is available now, packaged as a BGA-196 device, from $45.00 for orders of 1000 pieces. The STEVAL-IME015V1 evaluation board is also available, for orders please contact your ST sales office.
- STMicroelectronics is a world leader in providing the semiconductor solutions that make a positive contribution to people’s lives, today and into the future.
- Among the world’s largest semiconductor companies
- A leading Integrated Device Manufacturer delivering solutions that are key to Smart Driving, Smart Industry, Smart Home & City and Smart Things
- A leading technology innovator: ~7,400 people working in R&D and product design, ~18,000 patents, ~ 9,600 patent families and ~ 550 new patent filings in 2018
- An unwavering commitment to sustainability
- Corporate Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- President and CEO: Jean-Marc Chery
- 2018 revenues: $9.66 billion
- ~46,000 employees worldwide
- 80 sales & marketing offices in 35 countries
- More than 100,000 customers worldwide
- 11 main manufacturing sites
- Public since 1994: shares traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: STM), Euronext Paris, and Borsa Italiana
- Created as SGS-THOMSON Microelectronics in June 1987, from merger of SGS Microelettronica (Italy) and Thomson Semiconducteurs (France)
- Renamed STMicroelectronics in May 1998
- Find out more in our company presentation