Can I get some decent final year design project ideas for Undergraduate Electrical Engineering under Power Distribution domain?

Hi there! I'm Bilal.

I'm a final Year Electrical Engineering student at NEDUET, Karachi Pakistan. I'm currently looking for some decent final year design project idea options that come under power distribution and protection domain. It's pretty hard to find such ideas on your own when you have little to zero Research skills. So I'd be highly obliged if any one here helps me move forward with my FYP Proposal.

PS: I'd be glad if the suggestions are a blend of both hardware and software usage.

Hello there.
:)
As an enthusiast of power systems I'm thinking perhaps designing HV/MV/LV power substations. Optical communication systems for transmission line networks & cybersecurity of digital substations. The equipment used & wiring requirements, illustrate the actual layout of wires and physical connection between devices for power substations, incorporate single - line diagrams to indicate functionality of complex projects. High voltage switching substations. Incorporating incoming and outgoing lines. Main and transfer Bus bars with differential protection schemes. Type & number of transformers ,description & illustration of CT cores…level of protection, switch gear assembly with surge arresters along with line protection relays & metering.
Including ANSI indications.

Design a digital relay and a small radial DC/AC grid to test the relay on.

The digital relay:

A microcontroller with the digital protection algorithm code and a relay to trip the circuit.

1. Arduino Uno
2. Algorithm for digital relay protection, you can choose one of the following: sample and first derivative algorithm, first and second derivative, full-cycle foureir algorithm, half-cycle Fourier algorithm, cosine transform , or wavelet transform.

3. Current sensor ACS712

4. AC Voltage sensor (ZMPT101B) or a voltage divider in case you are going to use a DC grid.

6. Relay and transistor to trip the DC/AC grid.

The radial DC/AC grid:

The DC grid consists of a battery with a load and a switch that would toggle between a high resistance load and a low resistance load to simulate fault occurrence.

An AC grid consists of a step down transform and a switch that would toggle between a high resistance load and low resistance load to simulate fault occurrence.

Choose either a DC grid or an AC grid.
For extra work, build a digital twin for this system and relay.

Hello there.
:)
As an enthusiast of power systems I'm thinking perhaps designing HV/MV/LV power substations. Optical communication systems for transmission line networks & cybersecurity of digital substations. The equipment used & wiring requirements, illustrate the actual layout of wires and physical connection between devices for power substations, incorporate single - line diagrams to indicate functionality of complex projects. High voltage switching substations. Incorporating incoming and outgoing lines. Main and transfer Bus bars with differential protection schemes. Type & number of transformers ,description & illustration of CT cores…level of protection, switch gear assembly with surge arresters along with line protection relays & metering.
Including ANSI indications.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Could you please state specifically what is the problem statement for a 3D substation designing project? What are the objectives for this idea?

Design a digital relay and a small radial DC/AC grid to test the relay on.

The digital relay:

A microcontroller with the digital protection algorithm code and a relay to trip the circuit.

1. Arduino Uno
2. Algorithm for digital relay protection, you can choose one of the following: sample and first derivative algorithm, first and second derivative, full-cycle foureir algorithm, half-cycle Fourier algorithm, cosine transform , or wavelet transform.

3. Current sensor ACS712

4. AC Voltage sensor (ZMPT101B) or a voltage divider in case you are going to use a DC grid.

6. Relay and transistor to trip the DC/AC grid.

The radial DC/AC grid:

The DC grid consists of a battery with a load and a switch that would toggle between a high resistance load and a low resistance load to simulate fault occurrence.

An AC grid consists of a step down transform and a switch that would toggle between a high resistance load and low resistance load to simulate fault occurrence.

Choose either a DC grid or an AC grid.
For extra work, build a digital twin for this system and relay.
Thanks a lot for this remarkable suggestion. It's so nice of you for having me know some of the working steps.

If u can do me a favor and elaborate about the idea's problem statement , objectives and scope, I'd be more than happy to have it for my proposal after reviewing some related literature on the internet as soon as possible.

Hi there! I'm Bilal.

I'm a final Year Electrical Engineering student at NEDUET, Karachi Pakistan. I'm currently looking for some decent final year design project idea options that come under power distribution and protection domain. It's pretty hard to find such ideas on your own when you have little to zero Research skills. So I'd be highly obliged if any one here helps me move forward with my FYP Proposal.

PS: I'd be glad if the suggestions are a blend of both hardware and software usage.
Hi Bilal,

Why don't you check out sites where other engineers share their project ideas and look for one that best suits you.

For instance, https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/Robot_Arm_to_implement_CV_projects_05201795.html

Although it might not be the project for you but you can check out the site. I've gotten tons of project ideas from it.

Thanks a lot for this remarkable suggestion. It's so nice of you for having me know some of the working steps.

If u can do me a favor and elaborate about the idea's problem statement , objectives and scope, I'd be more than happy to have it for my proposal after reviewing some related literature on the internet as soon as possible.

Problem statement:

Following the occurrence of a short-circuit fault, high fault current flows in the power system. Unfortunately, this high fault current could damage the power system equipment causing high financial loss and extended power outages. Accordingly, the fault needs to be isolated as soon as possible with minimal affected areas.

Conventionally, electro-mechanical protection devices were used for system protection. However, integration of multiple protection function in these devices is hard; therefore, analog protection schemes were invented, but it suffered form hard design and update processes.

With rise of micro-controllers, digital relays showed up to the surface. This relays can easily be programmed with protection algorithms. Moreover, it can integrate multiple protection functionality and concurrently execute them.

You should write this stuff on your own, but here is something to start with.

Problem statement:

Following the occurrence of a short-circuit fault, high fault current flows in the power system. Unfortunately, this high fault current could damage the power system equipment causing high financial loss and extended power outages. Accordingly, the fault needs to be isolated as soon as possible with minimal affected areas.

Conventionally, electro-mechanical protection devices were used for system protection. However, integration of multiple protection function in these devices is hard; therefore, analog protection schemes were invented, but it suffered form hard design and update processes.

With rise of micro-controllers, digital relays showed up to the surface. This relays can easily be programmed with protection algorithms. Moreover, it can integrate multiple protection functionality and concurrently execute them.

You should write this stuff on your own, but here is something to start with.
Not my thread, but great tip.

I can suggest some SCADA-based projects. For example:

1. Automated Voltage Regulation (AVR) in Distribution System using SCADA.

1. Power Quality Monitoring and Management in Power Distribution System using SCADA.

1. Load Shedding and Load Restoration in Power Distribution System using SCADA.