Silicon-Carbide MOSFET Buck-Boost Evaluation Kit
The purpose of Cree's KIT-CRD-3DD12P, Buck-Boost Evaluation Kit is to demonstrate the high-speed switching performance of Cree's 3rd Generation (C3MTM) silicon carbide (SiC) MOSFET. This evaluation kit supports the new TO-247-4L package. The TO-247-4L package comes with an added Kelvin source pin that reduces the effects of L*di/dt in the gate circuit. The reduced L*di/dt in the gate circuit allows more voltage to be applied at the gate and source which results in faster dynamic switching.
Cree's KIT-CRD-3DD12P, Buck-Boost Evaluation Kit also accepts the traditional TO-247-3L package without the need of any additional adapters. This provides the end user with the ability to test and compare the performance of Cree's 3rd Generation (C3MTM) MOSFETs in various packages.
The evaluation kit comes in a half-bridge configuration with the provision of adding a MOSFET or diode in the upper and lower positions. This allows the evaluation board to be configured in common power conversion topologies such as synchronous buck or synchronous boost converter topologies.
Recommended for you: Soitec and Applied Materials Partner on Advanced SiC Substrates
There is also a provision of adding diodes in either the top or the bottom positions. This provision allows users to run the evaluation kit in an asynchronous buck converter topology or in an asynchronous boost converter topology. To reduce power loss, Cree's KIT-CRD-3DD12P, Buck-Boost Evaluation Kit comes with a low loss inductor made up of "Sendust" material.
Summary of features and capabilities
- Evaluate and optimize steady state and high speed switching performance of Wolfspeed C3MTM SiC MOSFETs and Schottky diodes
- Analyze the evaluation board in versatile power conversion topologies, such as Synchronous / Asynchronous Buck or Boost converter, Half Bridge and Full Bridge (Note: Full Bridge topology requires 2 Evaluation Kits)
- Board features footprints for both 3 and 4 lead TO-247 packages of C3MTM SiC MOSFETs
- Compatible with both TO-247 and TO-220 packages of SiC Schottky diodes
- Does not require an additional capacitor to run the evaluation board in the buck or boost converter topologies
- Two dedicated gate drivers available on the board for each C3MTM SiC MOSFET
- Includes 2 1200V, 75mΩ C3MTM SiC MOSFETs in a TO-247-4 Package with the testing hardware