Bourns Debuts Specialized Thick Film Chip Resistor ArraysApril 25, 2021 by Gary Elinoff
The new components are said to be the first that are both sulfur-resistant and AEC-Q100 compliant
The CATxxA-LF, CAYxxA-LF and CAYxxA-AS series of thick film resistor arrays were designed to enable OEMs to reduce costs and save board space
The models CATxxA-LF and CAYxxA-LF. Image courtesy of Bourns
All models of the three new series meet AEC-Q200. The multi-resistor arrays are power rated at 63 mW per element and meet specifications at temperatures as high as 70℃.
What Are Thick-Film Resistor Elements?
The thick film resistor element is the part over the overall resistor that actually offers the specified electrical resistance in ohms. It’s composed of various metal oxides, that are actually many thousands of times larger than what’s present in thin film resistors.
Construction details of the CAT10A-LF series. Image courtesy of Bourns’ Datasheet
These three resistor families are built by printing a thick film element onto a ceramic substrate. This methodology allows for a wide range of resistances as well as an increased range of possibilities in terms of size and dimensions.
Commonalities Among the Three Series
Resistance value tolerances are generally at 5%. A zero jumper can be specified in place of a resistor. While the units are specced at -55 to +125℃, at 70℃ the power carrying capacity derates linearly to 0 at 125℃
The Sulfur Protected Model CAYxxA-AS Series
It is the Model CAYxxA-AS series that offers long-life protection against many sulfurous environments. The anti-sulfur protection requirements are based on the ASTM-B-809-95 and EIA-977 (test parameter B) standards.
They can be specified over resistances from 3 Ω to 1 MΩ. There are three members:
- The CAY16A-xxxJ4AS features an array of 4 separate, isolated resistors. Maximum overload voltage is 100 volts and maximum working voltages is 50 volts
- The CAY10A-xxxJ2AS and CAY10A-xxxJ4AS offer 2 and 4 separate resistors, respectively. Maximum overload voltage is 50 volts and maximum working voltage is 25 volts
Applications for the Model CAYxxA-AS series include:
- Transportation industry
- Industrial automation
- Power supplies
- LED lighting
- Communication base station applications operating in extreme conditions.
- Consumer electronics
The CATxxA-LF Series
These devices can be specified over a range of 10 Ω to 1 MΩ. The three members here are:
- The CAT16A-xxx4LF includes three isolated resistors. They can be specified for tolerances of either 1% or 5%. Maximum working and overload voltages are 50 and 100 volts, respectively.
- The CAT10A-xxxJ2LF and CAT10A-xxxJ4LF sport two and four resistors respectively, all specced at 5%. Maximum working and over load voltages are half the values for the CAT16A-xxx4LF.
The CAYxxA-LF Series
These devices can be specified over a range of 3 Ω to 1 MΩ. Here too, there are three members:
- The CAY16A-xxx4LF is offered with resistance tolerances of either 1% or 5%. Their maximum working voltage is 50 volts, with 100 volts being the maximum. There are four separate resistors.
- The CAY10A-xxxJ2LF and CAY10A-xxxJ4LF’s resistor tolerances are both 5%. There are two and four independent resistors. Working and maximum overload voltages are, sequentially, 25 and 50.
- All three of the new series of resistor arrays are RoHS compliant