600V 150mΩ GaN Power Stage with Integrated Driver
Texas Instruments (TI) launched the LMG3411R150 GaN power stage with integrated driver and protection. (See functional diagram above). The power stage is a 600V 150mΩ GaN transistor with integrated driver and cycle-by-cycle over-current protection. According to TI, the LMG3411R150 power stage enables power electronics systems with new levels of power density and efficiency.
Applications for the GaN power stage include high-density industrial and consumer power supplies; high-density ac-dc adapters for notebook, tablet, tv, set-top box and printer; solar inverters; and industrial motor drives.
LMG3411's inherent advantages compared to silicon MOSFETs include ultra-low input and output capacitance, zero reverse recovery to reduce switching losses as much as 80%, and low switch node ringing to reduce EMI. These advantages facilitate dense and efficient topologies such as the totem-pole PFC.
The LMG3411R150 integrates a unique set of features to simplify design, maximize reliability, and optimize the performance of any power supply. An integrated gate drive provides 100V/ns switching with near zero Vds ringing and <100ns current limiting self-protects against unintended shoot-through events. Over-temperature shutdown prevents thermal runaway, and system interface signals provide self-monitoring capability.
- TI GaN process qualified through accelerated reliability in-application hard-switching mission profiles
- Enables high-density power conversion designs
- Superior system performance over cascode or stand-alone GaN FETs
- Low inductance 8mm x 8mm QFN package for ease of design, and layout
- Adjustable drive strength for switching performance and EMI control
- Digital fault status output signal
- Only +12V unregulated supply needed
- Integrated gate driver
- Zero common source inductance
- 20ns propagation delay for MHz operation
- Process-tuned gate bias voltage for reliability
- 25V/ns to 100V/ns user adjustable slew rate
- Cycle-by-cycle over-current protection
- Robust protection
- Requires no external protection components
- Over-current protection with <100ns response >150V/ns slew rate immunity
- Transient over-voltage immunity
- Over-temperature protection
- UVLO protection on all supply rails
Preproduction samples of XLMG3411R150RWHT are available upon request. The company also offers the LMG3411R150 development kit comprised of the LMG3411R150 daughter card and the LMG34xx GaN system-level evaluation motherboard, which can be purchased separately from TI.