Does drain current go up if doping also goes up?

I'm an EE who's been in software for the last 11 years. My apologies if this is a dumb question.

I need a really high current H bridge. > 10 kA. Voltage is small. Say, less than 1 V. Turn on time has to be << 1 us. On time is a few us, followed by several ms of off time.

There does not seem to be any transistor *currently made* that does this. I found a few legacy products but none currently manufactured.

Here is my question:

"Suppose I make a custom transistor. My transistor has more doping than a typical power transistor. Let's also suppose that I can accept any additional leakage that comes with. By how much, if at all, does max drain current go up?"

There are very few engineers on the earth that think at the "doping" level. Some of this is tough in school but none of the students will ever make their transistor.

10kA 1V transistor? The leads would have to be solid copper bars, or straps like car battery cables but much larger.
Here is a 1200A 100V part. It is hard to find a high current MOSFET with voltage ratings below 40V. I can find 600A 40V parts.
1640553669009.png
I do not see many Junction Transistors now days, that will work. I think your requirements are so non standard no one will make the part.

What are you doing with a very high current H birdge? Maybe there is a different way.

There are very few engineers on the earth that think at the "doping" level. Some of this is tough in school but none of the students will ever make their transistor.

10kA 1V transistor? The leads would have to be solid copper bars, or straps like car battery cables but much larger.
Here is a 1200A 100V part. It is hard to find a high current MOSFET with voltage ratings below 40V. I can find 600A 40V parts.
e the part.
Please also note that 1V and 10kA means 0.1 mOhm.
The VMO1200-01F has 2 mOhm at 125°C, so you would need 20 in parallel to meet 1V.
Moreover with that current level you need to consider the resistance of all the connections.

I used a 10kA equipment for testing high current diode and thyristor. It was a 2 m high cabinet and you hear the cable moving due to the huge magnetic force on the internal cables.
It seems you need to buy a dedicated custom equipment. What do you need the 10kA for ?

I'm an EE who's been in software for the last 11 years. My apologies if this is a dumb question.

I need a really high current H bridge. > 10 kA. Voltage is small. Say, less than 1 V. Turn on time has to be << 1 us. On time is a few us, followed by several ms of off time.

There does not seem to be any transistor *currently made* that does this. I found a few legacy products but none currently manufactured.

Here is my question:

"Suppose I make a custom transistor. My transistor has more doping than a typical power transistor. Let's also suppose that I can accept any additional leakage that comes with. By how much, if at all, does max drain current go up?"
You can use six (10) devices parallel OR total 40 nos of IRF40SC240 to make a full bridge configuration. each device peak pulse current max. is around 1440 Amp, The layout and connections are very crucial, you may need to do all connections with silver plated.

Increasing the level of doping in a transistor typically increases the current-carrying capacity of the transistor. Doping refers to the process of introducing impurities into the semiconductor material used to make the transistor. These impurities, known as dopants, can either be donor impurities, which have extra electrons, or acceptor impurities, which have an electron deficiency. The type and amount of dopant used can affect the electrical properties of the transistor, such as its conductivity and current-carrying capacity.

In general, increasing the level of doping in a transistor will increase its maximum drain current capacity, but there are limits to how much the current-carrying capacity can be increased. The maximum drain current of a transistor is typically limited by the size of the transistor's channel, which determines how much current can flow through the transistor. The size of the channel is determined by the dimensions of the transistor and the type of semiconductor material used to make it.

As the level of doping increases, the transistor's channel becomes more conductive, which allows more current to flow through it. However, if the level of doping is increased too much, the transistor's channel will become too conductive, and the transistor may not be able to fully turn off when it is supposed to. This can lead to increased leakage current, which can cause the transistor to heat up and potentially fail.

It is also worth noting that increasing the level of doping in a transistor can affect other electrical properties of the transistor, such as its breakdown voltage and switching speed. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs between increased current-carrying capacity and these other electrical properties when designing a transistor for a specific application.

Overall, increasing the level of doping in a transistor can increase its maximum drain current capacity, but there are limits to how much the current-carrying capacity can be increased. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs between increased current-carrying capacity and other electrical properties when designing a transistor for a specific application.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Batteries & Power Supply Design 1