Help with multiple cracked Lead Acid UPS Batteries

We have a large Riello UPS MultiSentry with two battery compartments. It came with second hand batteries (Yuasa SWL3300FR) which over 25% of which have come off the pallet with cracked exteriors. It looks like the cells have expanded inside and caused the cracking. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with UPS batteries and know's why such a large number might have failed? The batteries claim to be good for standby use and have long life... so we're a bit confused why so many have failed. And unsure whether this means the entire batch is likely to be bad

I've included pictures of damaged units
WhatsApp Image 2023-08-16 at 16.04.51-2.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-08-16 at 16.04.51.jpeg

My experience is with the manufacturer of battery powered semi-truck air conditioners (AC). The AC used100 AmpHr Interstate or Northstar VRLA 12V batteries. In 3 years of production I never saw cracks like this due to pallet shipping, truck vibration, or charge/discharge, even after 4 years of use on the road. You stated that these are 2nd hand and 25% were delivered to you already cracked. Sounds like they were abused. The only thing that comes to mind is the battery spec sheet states: "Each cell is fitted with a low pressure release valve to allow gasses to escape and then reseal." If these vents were blocked or clogged and prevented from opening, that might cause the cracking. If you can safely disassemble one of the cracked batteries, you might be able to at least eliminate this stuck-vent possibility. Example: in a flood and/or cleaned with a pressure washer.

Dealing with multiple cracked lead-acid UPS batteries can be potentially hazardous due to the risk of acid leakage and exposure. It's important to handle them with care and take proper safety precautions. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to handle this situation:
  1. Safety First:
    • Wear protective gear: gloves, safety goggles, and appropriate clothing.
    • Work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling fumes.
  2. Isolate Batteries:
    • Remove batteries from the UPS and place them in a safe area away from heat and flammable materials.
  3. Evaluate Damage:
    • Examine each battery for cracks and acid leakage.
  4. Disposal of Damaged Batteries:
    • Cracked batteries with acid leakage are hazardous waste.
    • Follow local regulations for proper disposal.
  5. Salvaging Batteries (if minor cracks):
    • Wear protection and place the battery in a tray.
    • Neutralize leaked acid with baking soda and water.
    • Rinse with water and dry before charging.
  6. Prevent Future Cracks:
    • Secure batteries properly to prevent movement.
    • Keep batteries in a cool, dry place.
  7. Professional Help:
    • If unsure, contact a battery technician or UPS service center.
Remember, proper handling and disposal are crucial due to the corrosive nature of lead-acid batteries.