Lithium Battery. Increasing my voltage.

J

JalenChristiansen

My disposable lithium battery has a starting voltage of 3.6V. But, when I connect the battery to my resistor and an LED light, the battery loses voltage. Quite a bit each day I check actually.

Is there any way in which I can attempt to increase the voltage?

Thanks.

J

JalenChristiansen

But, could that happen? Or am I just confused here?

I always thought voltage could drop continuously. There was an odd singular day where it looks as though my voltage increased due in part to nothing I had attempted. Why might this be the case?

J

JalenChristiansen

Look at the load through each step. But, remember, the load is not static when an LED is present.

What happens if you change the load of the battery?

My disposable lithium battery has a starting voltage of 3.6V. But, when I connect the battery to my resistor and an LED light, the battery loses voltage. Quite a bit each day I check actually.

Is there any way in which I can attempt to increase the voltage?

Thanks.
The battery will continue to decrease voltage under any load down to a voltage level of the battery open circuit fully discharged level.

For a safer battery consider switching to the Lithium IRON LiFePO4. Commonly called LFP. It has a much flatter discharge curve than other Lithium ION based based batteries.

See this link for the lithium ion. https://www.digikey.com/en/articles...rj85ziEMmn_H4rYI5h4PFS4LB-ynJQuhoCMGkQAvD_BwE

J
Running a test would be more than helpful. Would like to know what your results say when finished.

Thanks.

R

Rachel Miller

New to this thread, but have you run a basic battery test where you checked for a week or more?

J

JalenChristiansen

So, the aim of the battery test was to check the current consumption and for how many days the battery lasts.

But the circuitry has largely remained the same. I've expected the voltage to change each day based on the meter I'm using. and for it to decrease because of the current consumption (see below).

nominal 3.6V
day 1) 3.5100 V (dec)
day 3) 3.25178V (dec)
day 4) 3.178912 V (dec)
day 5) 3.26891V (inc) -> isn’t this supposed to decrease also?
day 6) 2.98661

Do you think my meter might be off/ broken?

So, the aim of the battery test was to check the current consumption and for how many days the battery lasts.

But the circuitry has largely remained the same. I've expected the voltage to change each day based on the meter I'm using. and for it to decrease because of the current consumption (see below).

nominal 3.6V
day 1) 3.5100 V (dec)
day 3) 3.25178V (dec)
day 4) 3.178912 V (dec)
day 5) 3.26891V (inc) -> isn’t this supposed to decrease also?
day 6) 2.98661

Do you think my meter might be off/ broken?
How can anyone give you an answer without knowing what the circuit looks like? What is the C-rate you decided to use? Please describe the load if you do not know the C-rate.