Renesas Debuts a PMIC Targeted at its RZ/V2L and RZ/G2L MPUs
The new power management IC’s (PMIC) features include nine channels, a charger, and a real-time clock.
The RAA215300 incorporates six buck regulators, three low dropout regulators (LDO), and a charger suited for coin cells and supercapacitors. It offers dedicated VREF, VTT, and VPP rails to support DDR4, DDR4L, DDR3, and DDR3L memory types.
The RAA215300 Powering Renesas MPUs. Image courtesy of Renesas’ datasheet
The multifaceted PMIC with its nine channels is illustrated above, supplying MPU power in a representative application. The RAA215300 is aimed at supplying all needed power for 32-bit and 64-bit MCUs and MPUs.
The device’s functionality also includes internally compensated regulators, a built-in Real Time Clock (RTC), and a 32kHz crystal oscillator. A spread spectrum feature and its ultrasonic mode makes the device applicable to noise sensitive audio or RF applications.
The RAA215300 PMIC. Image courtesy of Renesas
The RAA215300’s high level of integration can serve to obviate the need for many otherwise necessary ancillary devices, lowering the BOM count and saving board space. This, and its own small footprint, makes it applicable to a wide range of (SOM) applications.
The PMIC’s internal device registers and its EEPROM can be configured and optimized to enable it to satisfy a variety of application requirements. Customizations can include the power sequences, the output voltages, and the switching frequencies. The unit also supports dynamic voltage scaling and a low-power sleep modes.
- The RAA215300 operates over an input range of 2.7 to 5.5 volts
- It features 6 separate synchronous buck regulators with settable voltages. Output currents for the six are 5A, 3.5A, 1A, 0.6A and two separate 1.5A outputs
- The 3 LDOs also feature settable voltage outputs. Two offer 300mA, and the third can provide 50mA, all with bypass mode
- For DDR memory there is a dedicated VTT_REF
- Automatic PFM/PWM, FPWM, deep-PFM, and ultrasonic modes
- PWM switching frequency is selectable
Renesas “Winning Combinations”
The RAA215300 can be combined not only with the RZ/G2Lor the RZ/V2L but also with other Renesas products for a Scalable SMARC (Smart Mobility ARChitecture) SoM System-on-Module with AI design. Renesas offers more than 250 of what the company describes as “winning combinations” that capitalize on the easy integration of complementary products.
As described by Andrew Cowell, Vice President, Mobility, Infrastructure and IoT Power Business Division at Renesas, “Customers of our RZ/V2L and RZ/G2L MPUs will enjoy the performance advantages and ease-of-design of the RAA215300.” He goes on to state that “In addition, its high integration and rich feature set makes it an excellent choice for consumer, industrial and SoM applications.”
- System power for building and factory automation
- Powering MCUs, MPUs and systems on a chip (SoC) in consumer and industrial applications
- Lithium Ion Battery LiB) battery system power
- FPGA System Power
- The RAA215300 is available in an 8 x 8mm, thermally enhanced 56 Ld QFN package
- The device operates over ambient and junction temperature ranges of -40°C to 105°C and -40°C to 125°C, respectively
- RoHS compliant