Variable Resistors

Could someone please advise me on what type of variable resistor I should use for me to test and design LED fixtures. If you already know a good unit, please let me know the make and model of the unit. Thanks in advance for your input.

Could someone please advise me on what type of variable resistor I should use for me to test and design LED fixtures. If you already know a good unit, please let me know the make and model of the unit. Thanks in advance for your input.
Not an answer but a note of possible consideration (not having much detail): isn't it preferable to use a constant current source, such as 20mA for example, instead of a constant voltage source to which you add a variable limiting resistor itself dependent on the voltage at the LED?

Not an answer but a note of possible consideration (not having much detail): isn't it preferable to use a constant current source, such as 20mA for example, instead of a constant voltage source to which you add a variable limiting resistor itself dependent on the voltage at the LED?
Thank you for your input. I will consider using a constant current driver.